Thread: Boot Windows XP on SDHC in eeePC 701

Boot Windows XP on SDHC in eeePC 701

I have a eeePC 701 (first marketed by Asus). Since its purchase, I would install Windows XP Home Edition on a 8GB SDHC card. On several forums I found at that time several methods to achieve it. I have scrupulously applied, at least I think so, but I never managed to run Windows by booting to the SDHC card. This method allows you to use the pc normally under Xandros, and in some cases where there is no alternative, use Windows. If someone has reached this result I am now lessee of the method. Please help me.

Re: Boot Windows XP on SDHC in eeePC 701

The only solution is probably the CD USB. If you are not able to install Windows XP from the SDHC card, then it would be better if you prefer an external USB CD / DVD drive. By attaching it to your eeePC 701, you will able to install Windows XP operating system very easily. So I would like to recommend you to try installing the operating system by using USB CD / DVD drive.

What is your real purpose? Run Windows applications on your Linux or windows actually have because you prefer? What you should know is that the boot on your card will be quite long and tedious in all cases. In terms of running Windows applications on your Linux, there are tools that works relatively well (I'm not sure it works for all applications):
    • Wine (free)
    • Crossover linux (paid, except in special cases where they had distributed during a day of free licenses)

The boot booster should be a term each EeePC owners. Inexperienced will have wondered after reinstalling your operating system probably already where the function could be gone. Because suddenly they are no longer referred to as usual under the BIOS, but why? The answer is clear that the strange (for most, start unknown) EFI partition on the first drive of the Eee PC. If this fact deleted, will activate the boot booster of function, as this is required by the boot booster. The only ways to restore this partition last. That would go with a complete new installation with new partitioning of the system, or create, as in my case, an EFI partition using fdisk a Linux LiveCD.

In my case, I can the rest of the 4mb Windows XP with partitioning converted always left in a primary partition and changed the type to EFI. But the result has unfortunately does nothing, the boot booster still seems to be missing, but why? What could I have done wrong in theory?

Yes fdisk. Is available in almost every Linux distribution. I think that you should try that. I do not know if the 4 MB for the EFI partition really rich ... somewhere I've heard of at least 8MB read and with my 1000H GO there were even just 40 MB. So if you go I would try to increase the partition times (eg with gparted live cd.) - Has worked with the 710 and the 1000H, then the option was available in the BIOS again.

I have enlarged the EFI partition on 10mb and now works for the boot booster problems. So something seems to be some truth to the minimum size of 8mb. For future people who want to restore the EFI partition is said, that after the successful creation of the EFI partition, the boot booster to be re-enabled in the BIOS and then the computer once it's up and shut down. (Important: When you first start working the boot booster option is enabled in the BIOS of course, despite not because he needs the first boot to the EFI partition Biosdaten in writing).