Thread: alt f4 not working

alt f4 not working

I have hp pavillion dm4 and have installed Windows 7. Earlier it was running under Windows XP and was not having any problem but when I install Winodows 7 it gives me some errors. I solved all of them but I am not getting solution for one of them. My "Alt + F4" does not closes any window. Most of the time I operate pc with keyboard and now I have to use mouse to close any window which I don't like. Is this problem with the operating system I am using? Please give me the proper solution.

Re: alt f4 not working

Reboot your system and keep pressing F10 key. This will let you to the BIOS setting. When Window is opened for BIOS search for action keys. This should be set to default so that your keyboard will function its default. you want these disabled to restore the original functionality like alt+F4, Alt+c, Alt v, etc.

Which keyboard you are using. Your keyboard may have any toggle key which can disable all the function key. Check that it should not be turned on. It is a small problem and it may be one which I told you or any other problem. Dont think to format your computer. You should format your computer if you have some major problem. Try any other working keyboard on your computer and see whether it is working properly or not. If it works then the problem is with your keyboard.

Your Windows may have disabled the functioning of that key bymistake. There is a way to solve this problem but you should make sure that this is the same issue. You just have to go to registry editor and look for the following key.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\
    Explorer]
    Value Name: NoWinKeys
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value Data: (0 = disable restriction, 1 = enable restriction)

I think your operating system is not working properly. You should install operating system again. But before doing that check your system for virus infection with updated antivirus. It it does not found any virus then also showing the problem then reinstall OS again. and if possible then try to install it with some other bootable operating system. Open any window and press Alt + F4 button and see whether it closes that window or not.

There is problem with your keyboard. It is not generating signal for F4 key. Check that your keyboard is still under warranty period or not. If it is in warranty period then you go for replacement and if it is out of warranty then you can buy a new key board. I was also getting the same issue last month and tried many solutions then finally I came to know that problem is with the keyboard. I bought the new iball keyboard and it is working without any issue.

You need to the setting for input keys. You can also set it to default. To do the input key setting you have to open a Microsoft keyboard diagnostics. Go to Start and press Run. It will open a small window, type mskey in the textbox and press enter which will open Microsoft keyboard diagnostics.