Thread: How to remove XP from Windows XP-7 Dual Boot?

How to remove XP from Windows XP-7 Dual Boot?

I have Win XP on my system then I had installed Win 7 as Dual Boot. Now trying to get remove the XP Operating System from my system. I had tried it out for more than time with three dissimilar actions from the technical support side but it not works. Atlast I have tried by using EasyBCD to get rid of form the boot option. But now the computer just boots straight into Win 7 operating system, but I noticed that the XP partition is still active. Made the Windows 7 partition active, but when I reboot, it giving some problem to me. Any guidance with this issue will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

Re: How to remove XP from Windows XP-7 Dual Boot?

Hi,
    I understand your difficulties, but I didn’t come to know what problem you are facing during the boot time can give the information in detail so that I can help you to overcome form this trouble because it can happen through many of the mistake during the boot time or during the installation of another operating system on your system.

Ok, I problem I am facing is just I am getting a blinking cursor on the superior left of the display but nothing happens by that I've tried the Windows 7 installer and Repair it for three times and still not gone. Just get the blinking cursor on the angle of the display. Then I have started the booting from CD with Partition Wizard and activate the XP partition the boot again into Win 7. The only thing I want to just need to get rid of XP safely from my system.

Hi it must be the problem is you need to remove the old MBR. First Insert Win XP CD and boot, then go to recovery console option when the install options appear write FIXMBR. At this level you can’t able to boot your Win 7 but it will harm you as it's available but the boot will only "see" the XP partition. Now reboot from the Win XP CD or use a GPARTED disk GParted.

Thank you, for the step you have suggested me for removing the booting problem from my system. I have tried it number of times on my computer system but it’s not working properly and I think there must be some more steps to follow it. Do you have the any other way or more steps to overcome the same problem?

I am having the same issue. I think EASYBCD might be the problem. I've had dual booted machine before and never had the blinking cursor. I used EASYBCD this time around on the same machine I've had dual booted before and now I'm getting the problem.

I'm going to do more research to find a way to fix. I've repaired win7 a few times but after I reboot I loose it again to the blinking cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by roganr View Post
    I've had dual booted machine before and never had the blinking cursor. I used EASYBCD this time around on the same machine I've had dual booted before and now I'm getting the problem.

I'm going to do more research to find a way to fix. I've repaired win7 a few times but after I reboot I loose it again to the blinking cursor.
    If am not wrong, you are talking about the blinking cursor that appears at the boot up with the black screen. If it is so, than its not the problem of dual boot or EASYBCD . Most probably it is due to some problem with your hard drive. You can get many discussion on this issue here.

Shikar...thanks, but it wasn't the hard drive. The blinking cursor was in the upper left hand corner. After hours of trial and error I got it fix. Had to play around with the bootsect and bootrec commands and a few other small things.