Thread: Trying to get a netbook running....

Trying to get a netbook running....

Hey there. This is first time on this forum, so apologies if I'm long winded or don't provide enough information.

I have a Dell Mini10 running winxp home.....at least it was. it boots through bios to the blue screen that precedes os load and then stops. thinking there's either a hard drive issue or possible corrupt os. i have win xp pro system disks available, so can upgrade to that.

all i've done so far is make a flash drive bootable and boot to that. problem is that when I use this device to boot the mini, it designates itself as drive c: and there's no sign of any other drive being available so I can't find the hard drive to fdisk or format it. i expected the flash drive to boot to a:, but it didn't.

I don't have access to a portable cd drive but DO have an external USB hard drive. next is to copy xp pro cd to that and try to boot to it. anything I should know before I do this?

well I tried that and it didn't work. i'd be grateful for any advice from the community. thanks
    Last edited by andrellowitz; 07-09-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: update

Re: Trying to get a netbook running....

Welcome to this forums. It looks like that your hard drive is not working fine or it is corrupt. When you boot from Windows bootable disc then it shows the hard drive in the installation page. If not then the hard drive is not detected by the cd and so the same needs a replacement. The same issue occur when you boot from the usb and you can only see the usb drive as a primary partition. Try to change your hard drive.

Re: Trying to get a netbook running....

Yeah, i figured that might be it. oh well. thanks for posting your reply. look forward to helping out here when i can.