Thread: Windows 7 64bit can't shutdown, always restart

Windows 7 64bit can't shutdown, always restart

Hi friends,

I am using the computer with motherboard X58A-UD3R and Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 GHz processor. I have installed windows 7 64 bit home Danish. I have RAM of 6 GB DDR3 Kingston. It was running fine and I was not having any problem with it. But when I upgraded the BIOS or in simple words changed the BIOS setting, it started showing errors.

The main problem is sometimes it restart after every 3-5 seconds. Then I am helpless and the only way to shut it down is to cut its power off. I have already set restart on error disabled. Sometimes cursor moves automatically while typing and pages on internet browser scrolls automatically. I cannot stop this scrolling with mouse. What may be the problem can you suggest any solution?
    Last edited by Biloxi; 02-09-2010 at 12:43 AM.

Re: Windows 7 64bit can't shutdown, always restart

You can do the following and solve your problem. Follow the steps below.

1. Remove your battery out and after 1 minute put it back properly.
    2. Flash your BIOS.
    3. Go to your BIOS setting and disable all your power related setups. For Intel i7, go to CPU set up and disable turbo boost. Turbo boost is nothing but automatic speed adjustment function.
    This may solve this issue. Good luck

As you told that your cursor is moving automatically and scroll bar is automatically coming down. This seems to be a problem with virus. I think your system is infected with virus. I will suggest you to scan your computer completely with a good and updated anti-virus. If after that your problem get solved then it is fine and if it doesn't then the only way to come out is to format your computer or reinstall your operating system.

Friend, this problem may be because of following reasons. These are the major reasons which can cause these problems.

1. Any one of your process or services is not shutting down.
    2. You may have driver installed which is faulty or incompatible.
    3. You may have faulty or incompatible program running.

All the driver in your computer should be updated and this will fix your problem.

Before doing any formatting, just update your driver and see whether it makes your system run properly. You have to follow the following steps to update your driver.

1. Go to start and press and open start search box. Search for Device manager.
    2. Click on continue. It may ask you for administrator password for the confirmation then provide the password and click on continue.
    3. It will show you the list of device type then click on device type and locate the device that is not functioning.
    4. Simply right click on device and select the property option.
    5. Now click on driver tab.
    6. Click on update driver to update your driver and finally click OK.

Hi there,I was having the same problem except that cursor problem. My computer mostly restarted when I shut it down. Problem was with NVIDIA Display Driver Service. I asked one of my friends he told me to disable NVIDIA Display Driver Service. I did the same and believe me the problem is gone. It will not help you if you are not using NVIDIA Display card. Hope this will help you.

Dr. V Guest

You can try Clean Boot Troubleshooting to get out of this problem. Here are the steps which you have to follow to perform this task.

1. Click on start icon and in start search box type msconfig and press enter. If it prompts you for password then provide the same to continue the task.
    2. Click on selective startup on the general tab.
    3. Click to clear the Load Startup items check box under Selective Startup
    4. Now click on Service tab and click to select the hide all Microsoft Services check box and after that click Disable all.
    5. Click on OK button.
    6. Click on restart when you are prompted for it.
    7. Check if the problem is solved or not after computer starts.

There is NO REASON to update and re-flash your BIOS unless you specifically have issues that the new BIOS is intended to fix.

This is your fault ... in the future, follow the directions and suggestions of the manufacturer -- i.e., update the BIOS only in the event your computer is experiencing the problem the update is supposed to repair.