Thread: How to defragment pagefile.sys file

How to defragment pagefile.sys file

Hello,
    I used a log that greated a large database, which must be loaded into memory. Result, despite my 512MB swap serves me very much. However, my files were fragmented pagefile.sys and hyberfil.sys. I used O&O Defrag for those two files. After searching the forum, I used pagedfrg.exe. It is a great defragmentation tool, but I have not defragmented pagefile. I can move pagefile to d: drive, defragment, and then back to c:. This is what I want to do, but the problem is that the program is giving me an error. So, please help me with this. Thank you.

Re: How to defragment pagefile.sys file

I do not think it is possible to put the pagefile at the head disk with XP, because the program prefetch reserved area boot rather to put the boot files. That is also Bootvis. In your place, rather try initially to force the pagefile size to a value consistent with that of your need, taking care to keep the minimum size equal to the maximum size (eg gender from 1024 to 1024; avoid the pagefile to play ) and turn half the time. In the end, like a laptop disk is very slow compared to that of a desktop, the option to upgrade the physical RAM is preferable, even if it costs you some heavy amount.

If I am to empty the pagefile, it will not let me set the record later in the next reboot? In the end, like a laptop disk is very slow compared to that of a desktop" -> it's a 7200 RPM with 8MB Cache. If I create a partition, it will be necessary later in Disk drive and therefore slower. I think this might be one of the reasons.

I do not think there a risk in it, only the contents of the file is empty, but the pagefile is not moved even if you try to do it, a new copy will be created. As for your disk drive, indeed, an 8 MB 7200trm it starts to be nice. I myself even a 16MB on my laptop. I guess this will help you.

In my opinion, on a pagefile a fixed size, fragmentation occurs because the file content is changed regularly. We must therefore see if the vacuum actually manip clear pagefile of the pagefile, or is it simply to make the content non dumpable. I must say that I have never verified. But if the AC vacuum well, and your pagefile a fixed size, fragmentation should be reduced because you go on the "vacuum" at every reboot.