Thread: DDE server window not responding

DDE server window not responding

I am running computer of mine with Windows XP which is now having one issue about which i need to know. Actually whenever i shut down the machine i am getting the "DDE server window not responding" error which does not allow me shut down until i press the end now for three to four times. I am getting this issue every time i tried shut down. So if you are having any issue then please let me know. Thank you.

Re: DDE server window not responding

The issue which you are getting is with the Internet Explorer or any other is using the Dynamic Data Exchange and you are trying to shut down the computer at that. Before shutting down the PC you have to check into the task manager that Internet Explorer is running or not. If running then terminate the same and shut down the computer.

This problem occurs when Internet Explorer or another program that uses DDE unregisters a DDE server. Internet Explorer or another program that uses DDE then sends a DDE registration broadcast message by using the SendMessage function. If another program that is running on the Windows 2000-based or on the Windows XP-based computer does not correctly process an Windows message loop, the program that uses DDE stops responding.
    To get the hotfix for this visit Microsoft

I did not found any reason why the DDE server is running into the system. I will advise you to disable the same as it is of no use running. To disable the same you have to get into the Administrative tools from the Control Panel and after that into the Services. Look for the DDE Server and then disable the same by right clicking on it.

I was also having the same issue with the shut down of the computer. I have searched a lot for the issue and finally got the answer. I have just open the Registry Editor from Run and get into the Run folder. There you have to delete the "hpmon" and close the Registry Editor. Now go to "C:\windows\temp\" and delete the "hpmon.exe". This will resolve the issue.

This is the issue with the svchsot.exe virus which is causing the DDE server not found error. This is not svchost.exe, its svchsot.exe. To get rid of this issue you have to install the Antivirus program into the system and after that run the full system scan. But make sure that you have update the antivirus program with latest virus database.

Dr. V Guest

If nothing is working for you and you are still getting the same problem the i will advise you to contact the Microsoft regarding your issue on their support. Just ask about the problem to the support forum and they will guide you with the possible answer. So contact them and see whether you are getting it work or not.