Thread: Re-installing XP OEM

Re-installing XP OEM

Hi all,

I want to reformat my HD and re-install Windows XP. When I built my PC (some years ago now) I also bought XP OEM, but have since lost the product key I used Magical Jelly Bean to find the key, but I'm unsure about it because I've read that the key found in the registry may not be the one needed with OEM discs. My XP disc wasn't provided by Dell or HP or any other company and appears to be a Microsoft product (comes with a green booklet); and the OS wasn't pre-installed. So basically I just want to check that if I re-install using this disc I will be able to activate Windows using the product key found by Magical Jelly Bean - I certainly don't want to wipe my HD and then find I can't re-install!
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

Re: Re-installing XP OEM

You can make use of the key that you got through the application that is magical jelly bean. Try the key out. You can also refer to the thread that is mentioned FINDING PRODUCT KEY IN REGISTRY. You can go through the link and get the desired change to be processed and work. So look out and then get to a better conclusion.

Thanks for the reply.

I had seen the thread you linked to prior to posting and in fact it was this (and other threads elsewhere) which caused my concern, i.e:
    If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.
    Using Belarc Advisor I'm told that the key shown is the manufacturer's factory installed product key and not 'mine' (which I assume means the one on the COA.... which I've lost!). So I'm confused, because my disc is OEM (has 'OEM' in the PID) but it matches the description of what Microsoft call a 'retail' version (has a copper holographic disc). And as I installed the OS myself I guess that means the key in the registry is 'mine', i.e this must be what I entered the first time I installed.

Basically all OEM installed operating system comes with a Recovery Manager software. This is the best way to re-install your entire operating system back. The License key of a OEM version is installed in the system BIOS. So as you run the recovery your Windows get activated. All you need to register yourself online. The recovery software is also located in the start menu.