Thread: Task scheduler issue Win2008

Task scheduler issue Win2008

I've set up some tasks in windows 2008 server 32bit (running on Amazon cloud).

Some of the tasks are located in the 'task scheduler library' folder, and are OK.

Some of the tasks are located in the 'task scheduler (local)' folder, (which corresponds to c:\windows\system32\tasks). These tasks are also working fine, except that when I open task scheduler to edit them, I get an error message for each of the tasks of the form:

"an error has occurred for task ******; error message: specified account name is not valid" (****** being the name of the task).

Also, as these appear on the 'root' tasks folder they cannot be edited or deleted using task manager.

Questions:
    1/ If i delete the tasks manually (using windows explorer, for e.g) will this cause more problems? is there a better way to recover them for editing?

2/ How did they get here in the first place? Being a newbie I may have been in the 'root' task folder when i created them, but surely windows task scheduler wouldn't let me create tasks in a location that it cannot then edit/delete them from?

Any advice welcome, thx

mab

Re: Task scheduler issue Win2008

Choose “Run whether user is logged on or not” and “Run with highest privileges”.

Please also verify settings on the Conditions and Settings tabs. Make sure the Task Scheduler service is started and its Startup Type is Automatic.

Alas - the problem is that where the tasks are within task manager, I cannot right click, select properties, edit, delete or do anything else to the tasks - hence I cannot change any options.

The only thing I can think to do is to delete them from windows explorer and then re-create them. But I'm worried that that may upset windows?

Try the below fix:

• Open windows explorer
    • Browse to C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\WindowsCalendar\
    • Select Reminders - <username>
    • Right click Reminders - <username> and select Delete
    • Click Yes to delete the task
    • Close windows Explorer
    • Open Task Scheduler
    • Error should not appear

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Einstein_007; my system doesn't have a subfolder windowscalendar or similar, it has: C:\windows\system32\tasks\microsoft\windows\
    Within windows there are ~18 folders, none of which refer to calender or time or date and none contain either subfolders or files named reminder or similar.

The tasks that are causing me problems are the ones located in: c:\windows\system32\tasks
    The tasks in the subfolders of \tasks\ are all OK.

Could you confirm that deleting the problem tasks will not cause windows to crash (I can then simply re-create the deleted tasks).

Many thanks for your time.

mab

sunnyrepairs Guest

Use reginout regcleaner it will fix ur problem

Thanks,

I'll try that.

mab