Thread: customized windows 7 Image and Specific IP address

customized windows 7 Image and Specific IP address

Hello friends, when we create a master image, we usually deploy it. Deploying is simpler here. There's is no problem I am facing there, the problem is that what should be done if the requirement is to have a specific IP address for each single machine. Is there any way that I can get help here for this. I want to know it and finish this off. Please help me. Regards!

Re: customized windows 7 Image and Specific IP address

I think that you are not using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit(MDT). You should have tried MDT. You can try using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010. MDT 2010 provides a common console with some tools that help you manage deployment of Windows 7. The reason I am asking you to do this is because it is highly recommended process if you want to automate desktop deployment.

Hi tREYTON, I just wanted to get clear with you about this issue. Do you wish to have your each and system to have a Static IP Address? Or the other way round, are you using a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol(DHCP) server and you want to have an IP address reserved?
    The idea of using MDT sounds great to me. Try using it and if I will get something else I will let you know. Please do get me clear about you.
    Last edited by Ernesto4; 21-08-2010 at 11:48 PM.

In order to get this done I can give the detail hundreds of time. For this time Ernesto4, I am not using any Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol in my working environment. I have not tried the MDT 2010 yet would try it if nothing nice did not poped up soon. Can any one this time can give me any ideas of how can I achieve, for each and every machine, a specific IP configuration when there is one master image?

Dr. V Guest

I previously used one master image in order to perform this kind of things. The master image that I used to use contained the right drivers. The image used was in sysprep. Now after all this I use to distribute it using the SDI image. The SDI image would then run the Ghost or Altiris over my network. After imaging was done, the clients in order to establish themselves would go through sysrep. After the clients have established themselves they can run a VB script in order to get their own mac address. The mac address obtained helps the clients to retrieve the details from the server regarding what name and address they should have.
    Last edited by Dr. V; 24-08-2010 at 04:43 AM.

For now let's assume that finally the master image that I am having is ready. Now I will be using Ghost for the deployment purpose as you have just asked me to do. Now can you please tell me how the new clients will be able to get specific IP address. You have discussed about the ones that are present right from the beginning, now I want to know about adding new members to the kitty.