Thread: Cluster error 1230: Cluster resource '%1' (resource type '%2', DLL '%3') either crashed or deadlocked.

Cluster error 1230: Cluster resource '%1' (resource type '%2', DLL '%3') either crashed or deadlocked.

I have a configured cluster resource type that is being used to perform the applicable task within the Windows 2008 Server but not in Windows 2008 ServerR2 now. The cluster event occurs the 1230 error message as:

Cluster resource '%1' (resource type '%2', DLL '%3') either crashed or deadlocked. The Resource Hosting Subsystem (RHS) process will now attempt to terminate, and the resource will be marked to run in a separate monitor.

Should I go for the modification of the design of my resource type? Or is it a known problem ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Re: Cluster error 1230: Cluster resource '%1' (resource type '%2', DLL '%3') either crashed or deadlocked.

There are two of the options
    1- It is a real deadlock
    2- It is not specified as a deadlock but it is very slowly processing online, so slow that the deadlock monitor fires and post the error

So, we need to go for the testing of second from two specified , please run the following command:

Cluster . res "name of resource" /prop DeadLockTimeOut=900000
    Now, you need to go for retesting the online of your resource and let us make sure about the outcome. You are able to configure this back with the original value with the below suggested command:

Cluster . res "name of resource" /prop DeadLockTimeOut=300000

Re: Cluster error 1230: Cluster resource '%1' (resource type '%2', DLL '%3') either crashed or deadlocked.

Thanks you so much to consider on my issues with the possible solution regarding the same but this is bad luck for me and I was just thinking that it can resolve the issue of mine .

I followed your suggestion and applied in the same way as you suggested me to do ,configuring the DeadLockTimeOut to 900000. But it still getting failed with the same message . There is only one section of this one resource type within my cluster. Any suggestion what could cause the deadlock or is this something else?

My custom resource contains its personal resource type and resource type extension. I got this only come up with the Debugged version of my resource type dll. If not specified as the debug version then my resource can go for the launching properly without any issues . When I work with the WinDbg to debug the the rhs.exe that loads the dll, it display and came up with the following error when I try to come up with my resource online:

ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.debugcrt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_none_dd1b6abf43c3c735 \MSVCR80D.dll

I was capable to perform the installation of Windows 7 R2 symbols package and debug the problem more. I got the same issue happens when my resource dll query the 'Counter' value of the 'Perflib' subkey in the Windows registry with the help of RegQueryValueEx. The 'Counter' value specified as a REG_MULTI_SZ type data and got ended up with the two NULL characters. After all, for Windows 2008 Server R2, the value returned from the RegQueryValueEx that contains the extra character(0xcdcd) after the two NULL characters,that terminates the 'Counter' string value and the issue was occurred when my dll read that another character because the code was manipulating it after all.