Thread: Storing VM Config files on HA File Server

Storing VM Config files on HA File Server

There are four node cluster (2008 R2) with the clustered FS. The concept is to configure the vm config files onto the HA file server.For unknown (to me) causes , the vm is not going to start or live migrate to the node which "owns" the file server. Is there someone currently working with a similar setup.

By th way, if I store the vm config files onto the File Server which is located onto a server and out of the cluster,the entire things are functioning just as it should be in this case.

Re: Storing VM Config files on HA File Server

There are so many ways through which you can go for it , such as iSCSI, Fiber Channel. You are also refer to the following blogs. The storage options for the Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V..

A Hyper-V host is a server working upon the Windows Server 2008 and it will be compatible with several different storage options of that operating system. This involves directly-attached storage (SATA, SAS) or SAN storage (FC, iSCSI). Once you show the disks to the host, you are able to expose the same to the guest in several different methods.

I needed to highlight which you are able to boot the Hyper-V child partition (guest) from an iSCSI LUN. For doing the same , you have to expose the same LUN to the parent section (host), just be sure that the LUN is configured as an offline disk within the host and then work with the passthrough option to expose the disk with the guest as IDE (ATA).

With that, you can properly move for booting a Hyper-V guest from an iSCSI LUN. In the common way, which is feasible just the same for a fibre-channel LUN or SAS disks.

As long as I am sure , there are so many users will store the virtual machine configuration files and VHD files within the similar path. That suggests , if you are running with the VHD file with the high availability , so go for the virtual machine configuration files.

By the way, when I made the new VM, I always enable the check “Store the virtual machines within a separate location”, so the virtual machine settings files and VHD files will be stored in the same destination. If my D: drive is a LUN from shared storage and then after the virtual machine configuration files and VHD files are entirely highly available.

I would select to store the vm config files in a different destination and have them independent/isolated from the vhd files. Then after you are able to save the configuration file of the VMs in the similar way just like a VHD files.
    By the way, did you considered about the method to save the configuration file of the VMs and VHD files as separate locations ? You may tell us your considerations, then we can go for any further research regarding the same.