Thread: Failed DTC in a Windows 2008 cluster

Failed DTC in a Windows 2008 cluster

Hi everyone, I am running with a two node cluster with the installation of Windows 2008 (there is no R2), the clustered resource I have generated are:
    • Clustered DTC
    • Sql Server 2005
    • File Server
    • Hyper-V virtual machine

I have figured out that within the "cluster core resources" . There is a "Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator" that moved into the "failed" status. I have not generated this resource... can I do the safely remove for this ?

Re: Failed DTC in a Windows 2008 cluster

You are able to remove this easily, there is no any problem at all but if you will go with the internal activities then you will find that some SQL functionality may be affected to do the same . Resolving this is a much better alternative.

Just be sure that the MSDTC resource is based upon the physical disk resource and the specified network name resource within the same group. You can have more than one DTC resource within a cluster in Windows 2008 so placement is not so complex during these operations.

As I have stated earlier about the same and actually I am running with two different clustered resource of the DTC type, let me describe now :

Clustered-DTC-A

Clustered-DTC-B

I have made the DTC-B with the manual procedure and I have configured the same as the default cluster transaction coordinator. DTC-A was not made by me, I considered that it was self made and that is the default behavior . May I safely remove this ?

I established a windows 2003 cluster and then forcefully moved to reset the MSDTC with the help of suggested link :
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301600/

by following

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817064/

But, the group which I have declared MSDTC( as said within the first link from 7th point onwards ) about the resource Distribution Transaction Coordinator failed and entire things are configured in online after performing the same . But I am not sure, why it is getting failed..

You need to go for removing out the MSDTC resource, activating the network DTC access in both of the nodes and generating the resource again.

What are you working with as the storage for the MSDTC specified ?Are you getting any type of errors in the Windows Event Log after the failed attempts to come up with the resource on-line ? What do they states ?