Thread: THE WINDOWS INSTALLER SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER STARTED AND STOPPED - Event ID 1026

THE WINDOWS INSTALLER SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER STARTED AND STOPPED - Event ID 1026

I am receiving an event ID 1026 when working upon Windows server 2008 sp2. The error message occurred is as follows :

"Windows Installer has determined that its configuration data registry key was not secured properly. The owner of the key must be either Local System or Built in\Administrators. The existing key will be deleted and re-created with the appropriate security settings. "

When I moved to launch the WINDOWS INSTALLER service,I received the error message of THE WINDOWS INSTALLER SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER STARTED AND STOPPED. SOME SERVICES STOP AUTOMATICALLY......................

Re: THE WINDOWS INSTALLER SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER STARTED AND STOPPED - Event ID 1026

The Windows.old directory was created just because an upgrade or a customize installation had done onto the server where there was a Microsoft Windows operating system exist with the installation . This is performed, so that you are able to copy the files from the previous installation if it seems important . It can also be implemented to move back with the old Windows installation when required.

You don’t need to modify any type of components within the Windows.old folder to implement your current Windows system move on. Please only find out within the C:\Windows\System32 directory.

Re: THE WINDOWS INSTALLER SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER STARTED AND STOPPED - Event ID 1026

This can be removed if you don’t require the same any more to free up the memory onto your drive. Please gpo through the procedure below for removing the Windows.old directory using Disk Cleanup tool.

1. Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.

If you have required to select the drive, click onto the drive on which you have done the installation of Windows and then after click on the Ok button.

2. From the Disk Cleanup dialog box, onto the Disk Cleanup tab, click on the Clean up system files. If you are again required to select a drive, click onto the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.

3. Choose the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and some other check boxes for the files that you need to remove and then click on the OK button to save changes .

4. From the message which displays, click onto the Delete Files option.

The service pack installation always got unable to create the Windows.old directory. There are some possibilities that there was already an operating system has been installed when the newly established server was bought and somebody have not yet formatted the drive and finish the re-installation of the same operating system ,that generates Windows.old folder.

During this point, I recommend doing an in-place upgrade to the similar edition of the operating system that will support you to replace the damaged and missing system files which are causing the issues . Please put the installation disk and select upgrade and be sure that you are running with the enough free memory in the C: drive.

You need to go for the reinstallation of Windows Installer on your Windows 2008 Server.For making the reinstallation of Windows Installer, change the name of the corrupted Windows Installer files, and then after perform the reinstallation of Windows Installer. performing the same, you have to go through the procedures :

• Start => Run=> cmd in the Open text box, and then click OK to launch the command prompt .
    • Type cd %windir%\system32, and issue the Enter key.
    • Type attrib -r -s -h dllcache, and then issue the ENTER.
    • Type ren msi.dll msi.old, and then use enter key for entering .
    • Type ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old, and then press ENTER.
    • Type ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old, and then press ENTER.
    • Now, type out the exit command to come out from the command prompt.
    • Shut Down your machine and then restart the same again, Log on to the machine .
    • Download and perform the installation of recently released version of the Windows Installer from
    : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

1- Click Start=>Turn off computer .
    2- Choose Restart option and then after click on the OK button, or click on the Restart option .

I have already done the same as you posted ,I changed the name of these files and used to make the reinstallation of the same but it was occurring the error that

THE UPDATE DOESN'T APPLY TO YOUR SYSTEM

After all, I am going through the installation of proper file. Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x64 this one and this is for Windows 2008 64 bit hardware absolutely ? Also when establishing this point

Type attrib -r -s -h dllcache, and then press ENTER

I am receiving FILE NOT FOUND.........error message and I am getting unable to search the file or directory named dllcache.

It is absolute process to perform the installation of Windows 6.0-KB942288-v2-x64 on your Windows Server 2008 x64 system. I don't know the reason why you were not getting capable to perform the install of the same with SP2. Maybe there is something going wrong when you perform the installation of service pack 2.

So, is the issue solved after you make the reinstalled of the Windows Installer 4.5? Are you going to be able to install the service pack 2 properly ?