Thread: System Restore Issue

System Restore Issue

Not sure if this is the right section, but if not, mods can move this.

I'm having a problem doing a Full System restore on my Gateway Laptop. The operating system is Windows XP.

One night it was working perfectly fine then when I turned it on the next morning, It showed a screen that said "Windows cannot start properly" and showed a bunch of start-up options. I tried every option, including "Safe Mode" and "Last Known GOOD Configuration" but it still cycled back to that same screen.

Now, after doing a Full System Restore, I got to the part where it says "Please wait while installing application (35/73)"

It's frozen on that one screen. I can still move the mouse pointer, but nothing else has been happening. I even left it over-night and nothing happened.

I even tried restarting the Full System Restore. It still got stuck on application 35/73. The application it's trying to install is "2006 Q4 Oeminfu and Emver".

Help will be appreciated.

pollocktrance Guest

Re: System Restore Issue

I am having problems trying to use System Restore to restore your computer to a previous state. While a restoration process has to take only a few minutes, judgments about the progress of system recovery after 30% or less, and remains in this state for a long time (one hour). I pressed Ctrl + Alt + Del to see if the program does not respond, but seemed to work well. In such situations, I will leave the program manager for System Restore and restart the computer so that restoration is reported to have failed and no changes were made to the system.

Did you tried booting using the “Last best known configuration” option from the boot menu, that is just below the Safe mode? If still it won’t work than it appears like there is some corrupted somewhere. If you have the XP installation disk, than try to repair the system or the last option is to do a fresh install.

Quote Originally Posted by orlando View Post
    Did you tried booting using the “Last best known configuration” option from the boot menu, that is just below the Safe mode? If still it won’t work than it appears like there is some corrupted somewhere. If you have the XP installation disk, than try to repair the system or the last option is to do a fresh install.
    I did a Full System Restore. Now the problem is is that it's not installing the application mentioned in the first post. It just stops there and doesn't continue.

Have you tried running chkdsk /r? That will scan the disk for bad sectors and attempt a repair. If it fails, you need a new drive. Be aware that it can take hours on a large drive. You can also try to diagnose bad memory, unless you let static discharge into your RAM (fried) or damaged the sockets while installing. You can test your memory with Memtest and that will let you be sure it is not the memory (new memory first, if OK then stop, If bad, rerun with 1 stick at a time to identify problem ones).

Quote Originally Posted by nitesh mehta View Post
    Have you tried running chkdsk /r? That will scan the disk for bad sectors and attempt a repair. If it fails, you need a new drive. Be aware that it can take hours on a large drive. You can also try to diagnose bad memory, unless you let static discharge into your RAM (fried) or damaged the sockets while installing. You can test your memory with Memtest and that will let you be sure it is not the memory (new memory first, if OK then stop, If bad, rerun with 1 stick at a time to identify problem ones).
    How do I run chkdsk /r?

amiee Guest

It could either be the hard drive or memory or the installation CD. You can try running tests on hard drive and memory. try installing using a single stick of memory if there are more than one, also if possible trying using a different installation CD
    Last edited by Maqbool; 21-08-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: External links not allowed, not even in signatures. Removed the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jabber2033 View Post
    How do I run chkdsk /r?
    • Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt:
    • Click Start, and then Run.
    • In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    • Use one of the following procedures:
      • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.
      • To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
    To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

For more info, see this Microsoft Article.