Thread: WHS Remote Access and Verizon FiOS

WHS Remote Access and Verizon FiOS

I set up a server that is Windows Home Server, which I share my data with other computers in the house by wireless. I would also like to share the Internet connection with Verizon FiOS. Outside I found nothing to share the WLAN as Windows XP. So I create a SIN in order to share the Internet and my files with my console. Except that since I created a NAS can not I connect with another pc to my data, and no streaming or remote access. Could someone help me to share internet with my console and have access to data via the PC?

Re: WHS Remote Access and Verizon FiOS

You need to select "Remote Desktop Service" as the role to add: Wanting to use the website of my Vail to access my application I chose the following features:
    * Remote Desktop Session Host
    * Remote Desktop Web Access
    Then comes the choose to limit or deny access to the RDP client prior to Vista. For my test I use a Windows 7, so I chose the first option like this:
    Since this is just a test, I do not configure license server: It remains then to select groups of users that can use my RDS. It may very well stay well and add authorized users to the group "Administrators", but if it was a real case of publication it does not feel too much security. My server running on a Hyper-V supporting it I took the opportunity to activate Aero (I will test later on a client-compatible).

You can share media (pictures, videos, sounds) contained on your server on all your network devices HAN (Home Area Network). So the media will be available in streaming with a Media Center Extender, an Xbox 360 (which includes Media Center Extender technology) or any compatible media player (like Windows Media Player course). But beware, permit such sharing provides access to all media to all users with the hardware or software for receiving streaming.

To access the server, you must go over it with the address \ \ server, then the system invites us to identify ourselves. I use the login and password of the user ludovic I created earlier.Here are the files offered by the server (it is possible to create / modify other):As shown in the picture, the folder names is explicit. There is a private folder: Users only accessible by the user. The file Software contains two subfolders: Home PC Restore CD and Home Server Software Connection.

The NAS, with or without Windows Home Server does not require any particular installation. Designed to operate 24 hours on 24, it is supposed to be silent and greedy little power consumption. You plug it into an Ethernet port on your router. Do not worry, you probably already have a router in your home: your ADSL modem. Latest Freebox, Livebox and Neufbox example, act as a router. Otherwise, you must purchase a router (Wi-Fi is better) in trade. Count 100 euros. Once installed, you will not need to have your PC switched on to access data from your server.

Remote access to its data stored on a NAS server and a Windows Home Server requires a reconfiguration of its ADSL modem. This operation requires some skill, however, network (port forwarding). Precisely speaking network storage, Microsoft landed on the ground with its own consumer solution called Windows Home Server. Manufacturers such as Acer and Fujitsu Siemens offer in 2008 their own NAS Windows Home Server.