Thread: Problems with "File Association" in Windows 7 64-bit

blush Problems with "File Association" in Windows 7 64-bit

My dell insprion desktop is installed with Windows 7 Home Edition. I mistakenly associated the wrong default program for a file type. I want to remove this association, but I can not find how to do, Windows 7 is not allowing me to change the default program from the (Control Panel - Programs - Default programs - Defining the associations) So thank you in advance for your help so that I can return to the default association for my type of file as the source.

Re: Problems with "File Association" in Windows 7 64-bit

In Windows, each file extension or protocol is executed by a default program that can be changed. It is especially possible when you open an html file or a mp3 file to choose a browser other than Internet Explorer or play the MP3 file with anything other than Windows Media Player. You can achieve this by simply right clicking on the file and go to properties then advanced then select the file type which you want to associate it.

This will allow you to configure the default program associated with a specific extension.
    • First open the Control Panel: do Start, then Control Panel.
    • Then click the Programs icon by default if not present, go the Control Panel to "Classic View".
    • In the "Default Programs", select Associate a file type or protocol with a program:
    • The window "Set Associations" opens, you will find a complete listing of all extensions encountered with a description, and the program's default.

I think i got a workaround to this problem. I played with this problem for a while and finally got the solution. Sounds like you haven't registered it correctly. So go to Regedit by typing "regedit" in the run box and then press enter , Browse to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications and find your .exe name. Then navigate to the shell -> open -> command. Change its location to the actual location of the executable then press the enter key. Finally reassociate the file type as you would do reply.

if you have are annoyed when installing software changes the file association.
    (For example the installation of QuickTime who takes the extensions. TIFF. JPEG). It is a way to make a backup copy of the file associations and restore:
    Backup
    • Ftype> backup_types.txt
    • ASSOC> backup_ext.txt

Restoration:
    • FOR / F "tokens =* delims ="% G IN (backup_types.txt) DO ftype% G
    • FOR / F "tokens =* delims ="% G IN (backup_ext.txt) DO ASSOC% G

To use the two previous lines in a batch file, replace G by%%% G

PadLock Security Feature Sets file types in Windows 7 & Windows Vista. Download unassoc.zip from the Attachments section, and save to Desktop Extract the contents to a folder and run the file unassoc.exe . Select the file type from the list Click Remove file association (User) The user-specific association for the chosen file type Is Now Removed from the registry. The system now uses Will the global file association settings.