Thread: WD20EARS taking forever to format

WD20EARS taking forever to format

Hi everyone , I got this new hard disk named as Western Digital 2TB drive with the new EARS format, to be configured and implement as second one internal drive. I connected this , booted from my another internal drive,moved into the disk management to control the activities of this .

It did got the drive.All of things was unallocated at that time . So I made this to complete format, in NTFS (even though I have tested with the hard disk Tune Pro, v.4.5, beforehand). After completing the formatting of the same for over 24h, it is only 30% formatted and remained space are still as it is !!!! So, I needed to discard the complete format to perform a quick one, but currently it would not allow me to do .

Re: WD20EARS taking forever to format

You have to be logged in your system as an administrator to do such type of task that makes your disk for fully accessible for you without any formatting related issues .

To make the partition or volume (there are two terms are probably being used interchangeably) upon the hard disk, there should be either assumes unallocated (clear) space on the hard disk or free space under an extended section on the hard disk. If there is no unallocated reserved space, you are able to make some by shrinking an already having partition,removing the partition, or by working with a third-party partitioning software.

1- Just open up the computer management after making click on the Start button , click on the Control Panel and then System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools,go for the Computer Management after making a double click. If you required for an administrator password then type out the password or suggest the confirmation.

2- From the Navigation pane, within the Storage and click on the Disk Management.

3- Right-click onto the unallocated region on your disk, and then after click on the New Simple Volume.

4- In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click on the Next button .

5- Allocate the size of the volume you need to create in the megabytes (MB) or get the maximum default size, and then after click on the Next.

6- Accept the default drive label or select a different drive caption to detect the partition and then click on the Next button .

7- From the Format Partition dialog box, perform one of the following:

• If you don't need to go for the formation of the volume currently , click on the Do not format this volume, and then click on the Next.
    • Formatting the volume with the default configurations and then click on the Next.

8- Review your selected option and then click on the Finish.

So,I have been running with some problems with my hard disk (maxtor 160gb). Initially, windows having the bluescreening on bootup, then I insert this into different puter to see at it as a slave. The media (130gb) section of the hard disk is well and properly readable, but the booting of the windows xp drive suggestes as "not formatted".

I need to be sure that if spinrite is moving to work on such type of drive, because it has already told something about the partition table getting damaged- so it would not be capable to recover as more information as it need.

You need to go for the google search on the blue screen issue for a whole description about this issue. Did the issue generated when the hard disk was placed onto the original computer system that it and the o/s were originally installed on.

If not like this ,it is because Microsoft in their wisdom stored hardware details on the hard disk as that should it be replaced, unless the new one system /mobo are the simialr as the old one , you get the annoying blue screen onto the start up. According to me, the method around this is to perform the reinstallation of operating system as a recovery of existing.