Thread: Windows 7 Sysprep manually entering computer names

Windows 7 Sysprep manually entering computer names

Currently we are using windows XP but planning to upgrade all the systems to Windows 7 and I am in charge for testing and deploying it perfectly. In our windows XP we are running Sysprep and we are leaving computer name blank, hence it is asking for the computer names at the time of mini setup before joining the domain, and I need similar kind of thing in Windows 7. Is it possible to achieve.

Re: Windows 7 Sysprep manually entering computer names

I am also looking for the same thing in windows 7 and for that I was going through windows 7 sysprep that is not prompting for the name before joining the domain and this is causing the problem. There can be chances that may be I am wrong related to this, hence I need to know the work around for making sysprep prompt for computer name.

I can understand your problem but as far as I know the deployment process is very flexible and if you are having some related knowledge about the scripting then you can do whatever you want. I have tested various results, like Microsoft Development Toolkit 2010 and the configuration manager. But I am comfortable with the simple WAIK.

Through the use of Deployment Toolkit, I have created the LiteTouch install and you must know that each and every setting for the litetouch wizard leaving the computer name is already configured in the customsetting.ini file. Now when the computer is booting from the network, WindowsPE is loading and bringing up the litetouch wizard.

According to me you can take that thing further through the use of Microsoft Development Toolkit 2010 and also the database functions that are already built in. I must confess that I have not used the database of Microsoft Development Toolkit, but I know that database will definitely make the process simpler, since it is retaining all the information related to each computer system. Hence for the next time you need to go to re-image the machine, you will not require any kind of information it will automatically pull it from the database.

I am working in IT team and we are the professional for doing the work of deployment. The problem is that we are not the domain administrator and hence we are not having the rights for moving the computer from the default OU to their site OU or adding any computer to group that is needed. When we were using Windows XP then this thing can be easily achieved through the use of sysprep and I am searching for the same thing in windows 7.

I just want to know that how much time image will take. The problem is that I am having MS imaging solution and it is the fact that it is not doing a block by block copy that is similar to Ghost, or partimage but it is taking long time. I need to know this because it is taking less time for re-image more than four machines rather than installing windows XP on one machine.