Thread: Sysprep is not resetting CMID

Sysprep is not resetting CMID

I am trying to sysprep ping a windows 7 Pro image through the use of command line. "sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:<file>" and the problem is that the answer file that I am having does not have <SkipRearm> in it. But the thing is that an imaged machine is still sharing the same CMID as the original machine. This is causing the count on the KMS for getting too much low and the machine will not be able to activate this thing anymore. Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Sysprep is not resetting CMID

Well this thing has to removed when it is running, you must have complete idea, about what is happening if you are not using the Sysprep or generalize. I am also having the same thing and it is working properly for me, I mean that it is working well in my machine and I am also getting unique CMID at the time they are coming up. Are you inserting any key at the time of building your images, if you are doing that then there is no need to do so.

Thanks for the reply that you have given and for your information I am not inserting any key at the time of building any image. I have leaved the default KMS key there. Currently I am building the image on Virtual machine and the problem is that I am trying to restore it back to the previous state, I mean to the powered off state then sysprep seals it. But if I am doing this thing on physical machine then there are no issues like these.

I am also facing similar problem, when I am trying to display the activation information on clients that I have imaged, they are going in to “Additional grace period” state. It is displaying something like this “KMS license expired or hardware out of tolerance”. If there is anyone who can provide the solution for this then please let me know about it, because I am in a desperate need for the solution of this problem. One more thing I want to know is that what is this CMID.

Basically CMID is known as the “Client Machine ID” or the unique ID that is identifying the machine for the activating the server. It is similar to SID but it is not the same thing. If you want you can check the Client Machine ID of your machine by using the command "slmgr /dlv" and for the problem you are facing, I am trying to find the solution for that and as soon as I find any solution I will let you know about that.

I am sure that for some specific reason the image is just rearming properly, as I have deployed it to a machine is immediately giving message that it should be activated straight away. I think that slmgr /rearm is altering the CMID but I am not sure about the output of the slmgr /dlv has changed to the Vista version. It is listing the activation ID and the other related ids.