Thread: Windows 7 Media Center Error: "TV Setup has encountered a serious problem."

Windows 7 Media Center Error: "TV Setup has encountered a serious problem."

I have installed the Windows 7 in my computer and now i am trying to set up my TV Tuner with the Windows 7 Media Center. But when i am trying to perform the same i am getting the error regarding the same i.e. "TV Setup has encountered a serious problem." I have tried to reset the same lots of time but no help. I am expecting some solution for same. Thank you.

Re: Windows 7 Media Center Error: "TV Setup has encountered a serious problem."

First thing regarding the i will advise you regarding the error which you are getting is to restart the computer and everything which is related to the installation of the TV tuner with the media center. And then only try to perform the same. This might resolve the issue which you are getting. So go through the same and try this out.

A TV tuner is a device that enables you to connect an analog or digital TV signal to your PC or laptop. They come in two basic model types: external TV tuners, which usually plug into a USB port on your computer, and internal TV tuner cards, which you must install inside your computer. to know more about the configuration of the same you have to check the link given below.
    TV Tuner Setup

Have you checked the connection of then TV tuner card with the computer of yours? If not then first do the same and tight the connection properly so that you will not get any kind of the issue. If connection is fine then see whether the port of your computer is working or not. Try to connect to another port of your computer.

I have searched regarding then query of yours and come to know that it might be possible that you have not set the TV tuner properly with the Windows 7 Media Center. If you need to work with the issue of yours then it is better to go with the Microsoft link which is having the brief description regarding the same.
    Set up a TV signal in Windows Media Center

If all the above replies are not helping you out for resolving the issue and you are still finding some way to get rid of this issue then i will advise you to contact the Microsoft regarding the issue which you are going through and i think that they can guide you and give you the reply for same. So do as i said.

If the problem is not getting resolve the i think you need to troubleshoot the problem which you are going through. To troubleshoot the problem you have check out the below given step that will help you with the same.
    • Click on Start
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Open the Set up TV tuner troubleshooter by
    • Click on Search and type troubleshooter
    • Click Troubleshooting
    • Click View all
    • Click set up TV tuner.

Hi!

I'd had it working perfectly well for a year when I needed to rescan; and got the same error. Troubleshooting or system restore did no difference. Googling, I found this problem is all over the place. I could only find one thread where there was a solution, which I used, and it worked perfectly.

Here's what I did:
    1. Under Control Panel; Programs; Turn Windows features on or off: turn off Windows Media Center in the Media Features folder
    2. Restart
    3. Delete C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg2-0.db and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg2-1.db (I have two tuners)
    4. Delete the folders C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg2-0 and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg2-1 (again, two tuners)
    5. Restart (probably not necessary, but I did it anyway to be on the safe side)
    6. Turn on Windows Media Center again in Control Panel
    7. Restart (again probably not necessary, but it felt best that way)
    8. WMC TV Scan

Problem gone.

Brgds

Danny

Hello,

I tried the procedure you suggested and I got past the Windows setup error, but I am not getting all of the channel listing for my area. I can add the qam channels manually but the listing for those channels are not available.
    Any ideas what is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by totally_awesome View Post
    Hello,

I tried the procedure you suggested and I got past the Windows setup error, but I am not getting all of the channel listing for my area. I can add the qam channels manually but the listing for those channels are not available.
    Any ideas what is going on?
    The problem that you are facing could be because the signal from your TV service provider is temporarily unavailable, in which case you'll likely need to cancel or reschedule the recording until the signal is working again. If you're having other issues with your TV signal, see Watching TV in Windows Media Center: frequently asked questions from here.

Quote Originally Posted by dbjorck View Post
    Hi!

I'd had it working perfectly well for a year when I needed to rescan; and got the same error. Troubleshooting or system restore did no difference. Googling, I found this problem is all over the place. I could only find one thread where there was a solution, which I used, and it worked perfectly.

Here's what I did:
    1. Under Control Panel; Programs; Turn Windows features on or off: turn off Windows Media Center in the Media Features folder
    2. Restart
    3. Delete C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg2-0.db and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg2-1.db (I have two tuners)
    4. Delete the folders C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg2-0 and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg2-1 (again, two tuners)
    5. Restart (probably not necessary, but I did it anyway to be on the safe side)
    6. Turn on Windows Media Center again in Control Panel
    7. Restart (again probably not necessary, but it felt best that way)
    8. WMC TV Scan

Problem gone.

Brgds

Danny
    You sir, are a genius. Fresh install of W7 and last thing i thought i'd do is setup TV.. Glad this fix was around otherwise i'd be starting again.. again!

Cheers bud!