Thread: The user profile service failed the logon error in Windows 7

The user profile service failed the logon error in Windows 7

I was trying to upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista but I am facing login problems. Everytime when I put my password, I get an error message stating that "The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded". There is only one account on my pc and now I was wondering how to solve this login problem because I dont want to wipe all my data's again by formatting the pc. Please help.
    ------- EARTH

Re: The user profile service failed the logon error in Windows 7

You can quite easily fix this problem yourself, follow these steps give below:

• Delete the profile by using the Computer Properties dialog box. To do this, follow these steps:
      • Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
      • Click Change settings.
      • In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
      • Under User Profiles, click Settings.
      • In the User Profiles dialog box, select the profile that you want to delete, click Delete, and then click OK.
    • Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image, type regedit in the Start search box, and then press ENTER.
    • Locate and then expand the following registry subkey:
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    • Right-click the SID that you want to remove, and then click Delete.
    • Log on to the computer and create a new profile.

First you need to boot into safe mode and then have to enable the built-in Administrator account. Incase if you are not able to boot into the built-in Administrator account in safe mode then enable the Built-in Administrator account. So after successfully enabling it, follow the below method:

1. First click on Start menu
    2. In the search dialog box, type regedit and press enter
    3. In regedit, go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    4. In the left pane, look for the S-1-5 folder (SID key) with the long number that has .bak at the end of the numbers.

For more information check here - The User Profile Service failed the logon.

I am writing my solution that worked for me to solve this issue. First on computer boot up I pressed F8 and then started it in safe mode. Then I went into control panel and selected the option for recovery. After that I selected a restore point several days prior to the error message and I assume the computer performed an automatic restore point which I let it do. After some time I tried to log in without any issues.

You can try to recover password from the password reset disk and the easiest way to recover a lost password is to use a password reset disk. If you have one, do the following:

1. When displaying the logon screen Windows, click Reset Password.

2. Insert the floppy disk or USB drive restoration.

3. Follow the instructions on the screen to create a new password .

4. Log in using your new password.

The reset password disk function with the account on which they were created . If you use a hard reset password to retrieve your password, you do not then create a new reset disk.

I have this same problem, and found that EINSTEIN_007's answer is close to my temporary solution.

I've checked my SID and User Profile and they are both intact. The suggestions that I've read to log into the Admin account; system restore; create another account, etc. are not a viable solution for me. We have a lab of over 300 computers and having to "touch" the problem machines each day would take too long.

As a temporary fix I have resorted to deleting and recreating the User on the domain - I never have to touch the local machine. Note: The user has not been deleted; I delete and recreate it. Although this is a fix, having to delete and recreate sometimes 15 machines everyday is not the solution.

I have a similar issue before and I found some solution after intensive research. The first is running Delprof.exe. This service removes the user profile. There are some default settings where it tends to run automatically. Check for this service first. In my system in the server the setting for the same was set to 1 week and my profiles dissappeard automatically.

You mentioned Delprof was the first solution. What finally resolved your issue?

The profile doesn't seem to be the issue - at least not from what I can tell. So I'm still confused as to why when I delete the user on the domain and then recreate it the problem is resolved.

If it was a corrupt SID or local profile as I've read, the problem should still be there after doing my fix.

This might not apply to your issue, but there are plenty of online solutions for it. In my case, the hidden file -NTuser.dat in the hidden folder C:\Users\Default became a notepad (.txt) document. I think this was why Windows 7 was unable to use the default user to create a new user at first logon. To whoever else has similar problems, i would reccommend setting file options so that hidden files are visible, and make sure that NTuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log1, etc are in the C:\Users\Default folder.

Believe me I must have read them all, but none so far have been "the fix". I've searched for over a week at this point. A lot of the fixes deal with stand-alone units that aren't joined to the domain. The only band-aid fix is what I posted.

Our lab went from XP and Novell, to Win 7 and AD. I only hope this issue is the worst of it.

If the user has not logged in yet and you see this error on first login, I found, that most of the Time it is a rights issue
    Take a look at the event viewer under applications and look for a 1509 event (Warning) saying something like "Windows cannot copy file C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\....... "
    Check out that folder mentioned above and assure that folder has
    Everyone Read& execute
    Users (local) Read& execute
    Administrators full control
    System full control
    Rights

If that’s not the case it will have an effect on the user creation and it will fail

Carpe Diem