Thread: How to make Windows 7 show user list on login screen and not just the last logged on user

How to make Windows 7 show user list on login screen and not just the last logged on user

I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my pc and have made three user accounts on my machine. I am having a problem with the login screen that shows only the last logged in user and doesnt shows up list of all the users instead? I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to see this list of all users who were logged in before? Thanks

Re: How to make Windows 7 show user list on login screen and not just the last logged on user

I think that there is a temporary fix for this issue, you need to open the registry for it, so first click on Start and then in the search dialog box type "Regedit" and then double click on it and find the “ProfileList” location: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList].
    After finding it just right click on it and try to export that section of the registry as a backup. You will then have to complete the number of “dword” strings and compare it with the number of accounts created including the administrator and after that just delete every string which is not related to the account. The user account name can be in this form under “ProfileImagePath” (IE: C:\Users\Xxxx). Just try not to delete any string that is associated to an existing account. After that just close registry editor and log off to see all users accounts. If you want then you can put back the strings you have removed one by one and perform a restart to verify if the welcome screen is still working. If not just remove that section. I have manage to isolate what was making it to switch in to a single logging. If it does not work, right click on the partial backup registry file and select merge. This will restore any modification made on the registry. The string is as follow:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-1919079831-909762712-388609869-1007]
    "Flags"=dword:00000000
    "State"=dword:00000000
    "Sid"=hex:01,05,00,00,00,00,00,05,15,00,00,00,97,d5,62,72,98,e0,39,36,4d,b7,29,\
    17,ee,03,00,00
    "ProfileLoadTimeLow"=dword:00000000
    "ProfileLoadTimeHigh"=dword:00000000
    "RefCount"=dword:00000001
    "RunLogonScriptSync"=dword:00000000

Re: How to make Windows 7 show user list on login screen and not just the last logged on user

You can also try the below steps to rectify this issue:

1. You need to first login with the current user account.
    2. After that simply click Start and type run in the search and hit Enter.
    3. Then type “control userpaswords2” in the run window and hit Enter.
    4. You will then have to check whether the check box which says Users must enter a user name and password to use is checked. If the check box is checked then let’s uncheck the check box, click on apply and ok tab and hit enter.
    5. Restart the computer.
    6. Lastly, you will be able to see different users in the logon screen.

I also seem to have similar kind of problem for the last 3 or 4 days. I have tried the "control userpasswords2" fix to no avial, as it is not working for me, I dont remember what did I change on my pc? The problem is that all users can now login without password but the funny thing is that the users are not at all displayed in the logon page, only "other users" is displayed. Help

Hi Bhuvan,

You will be able to see list of all users on the welcome screen if you first boot up your computer. Similarly when you log off the computer then it will obviously return to the full list display. Also, if your screensaver is set to lock your pc then it will lock and return to a changed view that will only show the current user, so here the only way to go back to the full list is to click on "Switch user".
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

I also had similar issues with the user accounts but soon managed to solve it to show all the users with the icons on the welcome screen. Here's what you have to do, you have to open the registry first and after going into the regedit you will have to navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \System] DontDisplayLastUserName = 1 and just have to change the 1 to a 0 then close Regedit. Hopefully that will work

Hi Folks, first post I used CCleaner and after doing a reg clean found my Partners User Account had disappeared from Login! Windows 8.1 seems less stable than XP. I have been to lots of forums and tried many things nothing happened until I got to this forum. I looked at the post by Nitesh Mehta, he kindly illustrated it with what the settings in regedit should look like. I noticed on my missing account "RefCount"=dword:00000001, the last figure was '0' so I changed it to '1', I know this can enable or disable so it could be significant.
    Stupidly I didn't restart and so if this fixed it, I carried on with EINSTEIN_007's post. I had never seen this tip before, I put in to Run “control userpaswords2”, this didn't work but after some head scratching tried " “control userpasswords2” (extra 's') and it worked
    The missing account was listed twice as was my account and a HomeGroupUser$ account that I don't know what it is. My two accounts had two symbols behind them as did my Partners account. I went in to all the accounts and clicked on the 'Properties' tab, then 'Group Membership'. One of mine was set to 'Administrator' but all of the others were set to 'Other' and in the box it said "HomeUsers", I changed all except mine to 'Standard User' and then clicked 'Apply'. (leaving mine as 'Administrator'). I then clicked 'ok' and restarted the computer. To my amazement the missing account came up on the Login screen and is now ok. From now on I won't use CCleaner on the Registry.
    I am not sure which tip did the trick but thank you very much to both of you