Thread: After XP to Windows 7 upgrade folder stuck in Read Only state

After XP to Windows 7 upgrade folder stuck in Read Only state

I had just recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 I am fiding some issue in dealing with the folder permission. I am not able to delete some folders and when I right click on the same it shows a read only option ticked which never changed. I tried to remove that for many times but nothing work sthere. What can be the reason behind this. There are other various folders which I want to remove.

Re: After XP to Windows 7 upgrade folder stuck in Read Only state

If you are not able to delete a file or folder then there can be many reason. First check properly that the file or folder to be deleted is used by a system process and the same folder does not contains files or delete hidden files inside that. The file system on the hard disk has errors due to which you are facing the problem. The system can also be infected by a virus.

If you are not able to fully remove any files then there can be hard drive fault which is a hardware problem. The file or folder belongs to another user who has not left the rights to delete this file. Check the availability of file. Fisrt unide protected files of the operating system and then delete the same. You can run a virus scan also for that. Kill some process from the task manager and then check back.

First, try restarting the computer in Safe Mode and then delete the file again. The first solution may be to place a level above the tree, create a folder or file with the same name and then make a copy and paste the location of the file. This replaces the old corrupt folder and then you can delete the new one by pressing shift + delete. This works in most cases and solution is easy.

Try to kill explorer.exe. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and in the task manager go in Process. From here stop the explorer.exe process. The icons and the taskbar will disappear. Then go to File > New Task and type cmd. In he command prompt type CD to move the folder directroy. Use the delete command to remove the file completely. This is best for removing virus files.

It is recommended to analyze the hard drive using Scandisk, click the right mouse button on the drive in question in the desktop and click Properties and select the Tools tab. In the Error-checking, click Check Now. Try to delete the file when the scan is complete. Do this for some time till you get fixed up errors of all partitions. Then also run a antivirus scan under safe mode which is important.

Trying to redo Scandisk in Safe Mode. Try to delete the file in Safe Mode. Scan the computer with an updated antivirus program.If none of these manipulations do not work, it is possible to use specialized tools like Unlocker. Unlocker, can unlock the software to access files. A simple right click / Unlock unlocks the file. If the file is used by any process, the software offers rename, delete or move the file.