Thread: No text displays in almost every menu

angry No text displays in almost every menu

I recently installed a second user profile on my Vista machine. When I try to personalize my settings most of the windows have images but no text. Some of the boxes are truncated due to the missing text. Some of the windows run off to infinity past the right margin, so you have no upper right corner to even close the window. I have the default font for message boxes set to Segoe UI and at the same size as my main profile. ( I wish I knew where these are set in the registry so I could confirm the settings independently.) I have tried all of the different Windows display themes in the personalization settings. I can't personalize the taskbar, change program associations, or accept security warnings under the new user profile becuse I can't read any of the messages that are supposed to be displaying. I've tried creating new screen names, but they all have the same issue. My original user profile is still fine and everything displays correctly there. Only the new user profiles are broken.

Re: No text displays in almost every menu

It can be due to some missing system file in windows. You might need to run a fix for the same. What you can do here is run system restore. Click on Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System restore. From that choose a different restore point and then reboot your system. It will fix back the issue then.

ThumbsUp Solved: No text displays in almost every menu

I was able to solve this. It looks like in Vista that just because a font is in your fonts folder doesn't mean that Vista's registry entries show it as installed. Despite Segoe UI being in the fonts folder, I re-installed it and all is O.K. again. I then re-installed all of the fonts that were in my fonts folder in case any other system fonts had gotten messed-up as well. To re-install all fonts to Vista and repair any broken registry entries related to them, first navigate to the Fonts folder in Windows. From the file menu choose to install new fonts. When it asks for the location, navigate that window back to the fonts folder as well. Choose to select all fonts in the folder, and then install. You will have to tell Vista "yes" for every singe font, but it was very effective and did not involve system restore points or manual editing of the registry.