Thread: ELOM java console, mounting virtual CDROM from Ubuntu

ELOM java console, mounting virtual CDROM from Ubuntu

I currently running with the console working but can get no method to mount a CD drive to be a virtual drive on the server. If I done the mounting of CDROM (to /media/cdrom), I didn't get any movement there , if I click on the "Mount Devices" first, then I received the error saying "Can't find virtual device" followed by the devices configuration, which contains entire drop downs as blank so I am unable to choose anything.

This is ubuntu 9.10 working with Java Remote KVM 2.03 (I can't done the update the elom now). Any suggestion would be really helpful for me , the console GUI seems too uninformative and I am not getting any clue what to mount where to get it to work.

Re: ELOM java console, mounting virtual CDROM from Ubuntu

Hi,I need some help from you all , I have done the searching on many forum and might have lost this , I have recently installed squeeze today, everything gone well but when I insert the CD-ROM or DVD Disc within this and it will not auto mount.. have to manually mount them from terminal. I have searched a /ect/fstab and didn't got any issues there. Anybody else having this kind of issue on a squeeze install and resolved this ? Thanks for any help.

I just received 5 new X2100 M2 servers. One of the well features of our X4200 is the capability to mount a CDROM or an ISO image from your workstation on the server with the help of builtin ip-kvm. The X2100 M2 should be capable to perform this also according to the manual procedure , however I can't see the disk on the server. Anyone have any suggestion regarding the procedure to do this?

server: X2100 M2 working Embedded LOM 1.80, no local CDROM
    workstation: Redhat EL 4 running with firefox 2.0 with JDK 1.5.0-7

When launching the remote console I choose Storage->Mount Devices and select my local cdrom (with a boot disk in it). Then with the reference to the "Embedded Lights Out Manager Administration Guide for the X2100M2" (page 92) I should enter into the BIOS settings of the server and choose "Boot tab->Boot Device Priority and configure the first Boot driver to Virtual CD/DVD". However when I perform this , I am not getting 'Virtual CD/DVD'.

I bypassed such issue by performing the installation of Virtualbox on my Ubuntu 64 box, working with windows XP in there and launching the ILOM from that location . It even feasible to perform with nxserver from a remote destination the issue figuring out that which one ports to forward if you connect with an ADSL or same connection with the ILOM.

Hi buddy , I commonly go for the mounting of the devices with the help of Parted Magic live CD, if you are running with the DVD/CD player and are able to finish the downloading and bun one, it is very complex, there is a an icon known as Mount Devices otherwise move to the Storage disk Management within the Debian environment , and the same software would be available there, you have to go with that as a trial . From fstb, you have to configure up the noauto to auto and save, dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto...

I have already go through the manuals about this :

The below suggested firewall ports are needed to be activated when working with the RC applet:
    Port Interface Application
    80 TCP HTTP
    443 TCP HTTPS
    8890 TCP Remote Console
    9000 TCP Remote Console
    9001 TCP Remote Console
    9002 TCP Remote Console
    9003 TCP Remote Console

There are some other firewall ports specially for RC management:
    Port Interface Application
    22 TCP SSH
    69 UDP TFTP (for firmwares)
    161 UDP SNMP (for monitoring)

I haven't tried the mounting procedure for the DVD with the help of virtual media just yet.. but maybe I can go for a try if you require anymore help later.

There is no any firewall protection within the server and the RC. I will go for that again with the RC on the exact network as the server but according to me that will create much more differences . I have a call open at Sun for this but they got unable to provide me any replies regarding this .

I am seriously suspecting I require a locally installed CD-ROM that would make me as capable to go with the virtual CD-ROM (that would be not make any sense ). I had seen before in the manual and I read that the local CD-ROM becomes unavailable when working with the virtual CD-ROM. So maybe the SP needs the physical device to and can do the temporarily replacement of the same with the virtual device. I think , that is not the situation otherwise the cost of each server moves up with close to the 5% for a device which I am not moving to use anyway.