Thread: Can't start any VirtualBox machines in VDI 3.1

Can't start any VirtualBox machines in VDI 3.1

I had some problems with VirtualBox. I had to shrink the partition containing the vdi ( dynamic disk containing xp ). When I tried to restart, I found it was possible to run it. I am not worried because I had a backup disk image . Made with Acronis and verified.During the restoration , however ( announced as " successful " ) on a volume consistent with the former , and the launch of the VM, I was treated to a splendid blue screen ( BSOD). Please help.

Dr. V Guest

Re: Can't start any VirtualBox machines in VDI 3.1

You Must Perform the installation on a physical machine ( bare metal ) . Installing the software in a VDI virtual machine Will not work . The machine must FOLLOWING Meet the requirements:

* At least one 2.0GHz x86 CPU
    * At least 4GB RAM
    * At least 32GB disk space - It Is recommended to use a system with Two disks n That the Solaris OS uses one disk and the ZFS storage uses the other.

We recommend Adapting the default partition layout :
    * All of the VDI components installed Will Be Under / Opt - Ensure That Sufficient disk space est disponible ici .
    * Swap space Must Be Equal to or Greater Than the physical memory - if you have 4 GB memory , your swap space must be 4 GB Also more gold .
    * Templates for virtual machines Will Be Stored Under / Var / tmp - You should " reserve Enough disk space for at least one gold Storing Two virtual machine images .

ZFS uses "any available memory ( up to the limit ) for a so - Called CRA cache . This can cause issues in a demo setup , Because VDI May falsely deferral That There Is Not Enough Memory for starting up "any virtual machines . To resolve this issue , adapted the max value for the CRA Used cache .
    For example , to restrict the memory to 2GB , add the line in FOLLOWING / etc / system:

Code:
    set zfs : zfs_arc_max = 2147483648

I do not master the subject too but I think I understood that safeguarding outright VDI file is the wrong solution for backup , it would be related to interference with the snapshot mechanism. One solution would be , I think, to copy the VDI with the command VBoxManage clonevdi to keep - as a backup - the image and, in case of disaster, to link the restoration of the image machine virtual.

You must use the archive VirtualBox bundled with Sun That Is VDI 3.1. This archive includes a version of Sun VirtualBox Specifying year with installation script (vb - install) That automata The Necessary configuration steps.
    • As root user, unzip the archive VDI If You Already Have not done so . Then unzip the archive VirtualBox , and run the installation.