Thread: Windows XP Won't Boot After Installing Secondary Drive

sad Windows XP Won't Boot After Installing Secondary Drive

Hello. I am having a computer which consists of an Intel D-940 dual-core processor, an Intel 975XBX2 mainboard and two Maxtor 80 IDE HDs, with boot partition on master drive and slave drive all on solitary IDE channel. This configuration works excellent. I newly added supplementary secondary SATA HD on the SATA channel. The SATA HD and the IDE drives are all predictable in the BIOS. But Win XP won't boot. If I disconnect the new SATA drive, WIN XP boots fine. Any thoughts what I require to do to get the computer to work with the SATA drive?

Re: Windows XP Won't Boot After Installing Secondary Drive

The rationale why the system does not boot with the secondary SATA hard drive connected is because you are trying to boot from it. I counsel checking on under the boot options and setting the IDE hard drive as the primary drive, making persuade to save the settings by pressing the F10. Also you can enter the on time boot menu by repetitively pressing the <F10> key during the boot process and the select the IDE hard drive.

The Last Known Good Configuration characteristic refurbishes registry information and driver settings that were in force at the preceding time the computer started effectively. To access this feature follow these steps :
    • Turn off the computer and wait 3 seconds.
    • Turn it on and immediately press "F8" repeatedly until a menu.
    • Select "Last Known Good Configuration" and press enter

Now, if this feature does not work the first time means that the backup is also corrupt and you can not do anything.

Another tool that can be very useful is system restore, system restore usually always running the system in the background and backs up whenever there are major changes in our computer and then choose to return to the configuration of a certain date. To access System Restore, follow these steps :
    1. Turn off the computer and wait three seconds.
    2. Turn it on, and immediately press "F8" several times until a menu.
    3. Select "Boot in Safe Mode" and press enter
    4. Once Windows has started in safe mode, press the Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore
    5. Select the date to which you want to return and ready

When Windows XP has solemn tribulations when booting, you need to take more extreme measures will need the Windows installation disk which is bootable XP and gives you access to a tool called Recovery Console. To boot from the installation disk of Windows XP, insert the disc into the CD-ROM drive and restart your computer once the system is booted from the CD follow the steps until you reach the welcome screen how the next image press the R key to start the recovery console.

Starts to load Windows XP, the program seeks Ntldr Boot.ini file to determine which operating systems are available in the computer and the options that are available before continuing the load. If the problem is the Boot.ini file system can not boot. To solve this problem you enter the Recovery Console, as mentioned in point number 4 and there you must use the bootcfg command. These are the options available to Bootcfg :
    Bootcfg / add Search the hard drive and allows Windows installations added to the Boot.ini file
    Bootcfg / scan searches the hard drive Windows installations
    Bootcfg / list shows each entry in the Boot.ini file
    Bootcfg / Default Sets the operative system boot by default.
    Bootcfg / Rebuild Rebuild the Boot.ini file
    ALWAYS RIGHT - OTHER WISE I WUDNT SEY IT

The boot sector is a small part of your hard drive containing information about the file system (NTFS or FAT32), and a small piece of code that helps the system boot. To repair this sector can do from the Recovery Console, you access it as mentioned in point number 4, then type the following command:
    Fixboot C: and press Enter.

Where C: you can replace the drive letter, usually C.

MBR or master boot record occupies the first sector of the hard disk and is responsible for giving up control to Windows for this to start your startup. The MBR, as the boot sector contains the partition table and a small piece of code. If corrupted, the operating system will not boot. To repair the MBR you can do from the Recovery Console, you access it as mentioned in item # 4, then type this command:
    Fixmbr DeviceHardDisk0 and press enter.

When Windows XP encounters a fatal error, restart the system default. If this error occurs during startup, the system will reboot again and again indefinitely. This behavior can be changed:
    • Turn off the computer and wait three seconds.
    • Turn it on and immediately press "F8" repeatedly until a menu.
    • Select Disable automatic restart when system errors

This does not solve any failure, but allows you to boot Windows and diagnose the problem.
    "Let us remember that our interest is in concord, not conflict, and that our real eminence rests in the victories of peace, not those of war." -McKinley

There is nothing recommended it because most programs stop working, but this fixes most of the problems with Windows to boot, so it must be careful not to format the hard drive and install it in the same folder as the previous Windows C: \ Windows now that if what mattered was you most important files recuperate. Get it and then reinstalled Windows formatting for a clean installation.
    Whats my name again? I spend so much time looking at code i fogot my own name ahhh!

We're in the Recovery Console, here we can type the commands we need, but there are several we will use the following to try and recover our Windows XP :
    • CHKDSK: to detect if there is a disk failure
    • CHKDSK / P: detect errors in a more thorough and repair errors.
    • CHKDSK / R: Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
    • Bootcfg / scan: Use this command to check the installation of Windows (note the space between the bar and followed bootcfg scan)
    • Bootcfg / REBUILD: Restore boot.ini
    • FixBoot: it also serves to repair the boot.ini
    • EXIT: we leave the console is rebooted and we pray our father, If this does not fix will have to reinstall Windows.
    Desktop * Athlon X2 4200 | 2048M RAM | 160G HD | 7600GT
    MacMini * G4 1.33GHz | 512M RAM | 40G HD | Radeon 9200
    Laptop * Sempron 2800 | 512M RAM | 60G HD
    PDA * Dell Axim x51 | 128M Internal | 256M SD Card