Thread: Keep records safe in Mac OS X

Keep records safe in Mac OS X

Hello,
    I wonder if it is possible to restrict access to a folder of documents through a password in os x and how? I have used some of the software's to do this but I liked non of them. So, how can I keep my records safe on the mac os x. If you know one of the ways to do this, then please let me know. Thank you.

Re: Keep records safe in Mac OS X

This is the manner provided by OSX, no specific protection Or rather the protection provided by the architecture OSX. By definition files of a session are available only to users who have access to the session and by definition it is assumed that you trust them. You want that other bunch of users access? Well you use the OSX architecture normal procedure, one account per user, and each has a private area. You do not let accede to your session create an account for you and another or others for them otherwise create a disk image which is password protected or use software lockers.

Here's how to create a disk image protected with a password:

- Launch the Disk Utility (not too hard anyway, you can use any one of the software's)
    - Click on "New Image"
    - Select a location and name for this image
    - Select the size of your image
    - Select Encryption: AES - 128 bits
    - And click on create

Then Disk Utility will ask you to enter the password you desire. Think about uncheck "Remember password (add to Keychain)". Click on OK. That's it. Every time you go up your image, you will be asked a password.

It is possible to block the access to a file for people who do not know your code, creates a new folder right click and read the information bottom right of the new window there is a small lock at the top, enter the password of the user in the "sharing and permissions" you can choose different way of reading the file choose one that suits you.

By definition- A person who does not have access to the session did not have access to the content. The rights read-write to the inside of a session is not smart nor clean. As for changing the rights for others, this is unnecessary. Though these are my thoughts, you may can implement what ever you feel correct for you.

This must never lose sight

- The contents of the machine is accessible to anyone who connects a bootable external HD
    - The contents of a session is open to anyone with administrative rights because it has the right to modify the rights.

If you really want to restrict access to sensitive data on his computer, the disk image encrypted in AES 128 or AES 256 [Leopard] is the best solution. It is also the principle of File Vault, which encrypts the entire session.

I love the idea of a disk image protected by a password, but in my case I wanted to create a disk image of 200GB which seems impossible for me. Someone has an idea?