Thread: How to create an encrypted Time Machine backup?

How to create an encrypted Time Machine backup?

I need some clarification about Time Machine. I'm on Leopard OS X 10.5.8 - I have an external drive 1TB. I formatted Mac OS (according to me it allows to boot on my external hard drive). I created a clone of my internal hard drive with Carbon Copy Cloner software. I tried a restart on the partition that contains a clone of my system folder, it boots well on the external hard drive. I use Time Machine on another partition which is totally dedicated. And I want to be sure I have understood the details of Time Machine not to make improper use. Now all i want to know is can I create an encrypted Time Machine backup..?? If yes, please tell me the steps.

Re: How to create an encrypted Time Machine backup?

The FileVault is an encryption system that uses AES as the encryption method. It is a very secure against any attack on our computer and we will be reassured if we have in him any confidential information or require a high degree of safety. The following steps would be useful for creating an encrypted Time Machine backup :
    1. Log off from the rest of active user accounts and then log on as the user you're going to turn on FileVault.
    2. Open the Security preference and then log in as the administrator user to unlock the settings. Then click on the FileVault tab.
    3. If you had not set the master password, click Set Master Password button (when you define the password, you should put a high quality password).
    4. Open passwords Wizard by clicking the little wrench icon to the right of the Master Password to measure the quality of your password.
    5. Click the OK button to save the master password.
    6. Click On FileVault button and enter the password for user login again.
    7. At this time two options could enable additional security, the first being the ability to delete the contents of the previous home folder (not encrypted) and the second would enable the secure virtual memory for that particular user account.
    8. At this time, would select the desired options and click the button would do Actvar FileVault again to start the encryption process.
    9. The user logged out and you will see a logon screen showing slightly modified the process of encrypting your home directory.
    10. Once the process has finished, return to the normal windows logon and can log on with the FileVault-protected user.
    11. Once you set the master password, we can easily activate FileVault when we believe new users from the dialog box creation account in the Accounts preference.

In this way, you'll have all your most important information completely secure. I hope you have been helpful.
    ~HARE KRISHNA HARE RAM~

Regarding the FileVault tell you that when you activate it on your Mac, it is inherent in your master password. If you make backup of protected folders by FileVault through Time Machine, you can only restore or access them through "System Restore", available on the Setup Mac OS X. If you you buy a new Mac, and active with another FileVault master password to encrypt data could start from that point, but not decrypt the data.
    Last edited by pushpendra; 29-05-2010 at 02:00 AM.
    "Let us remember that our interest is in concord, not conflict, and that our real eminence rests in the victories of peace, not those of war." -McKinley

You have to take into account that the FileVault not encrypt only the folders that we want, but encompasses the entire operating system. The FileVault can affect the scheduled backups and interfere with access to shared folders on your home folder. You have to keep in mind that FileVault creates an encrypted home folder, some backup utilities can interpret this folder is constantly changing and can slow down that copy. Referring to copy an encrypted file on a USB and open it in another Mac, say that the answer is the latter that you had raised, not anything worth copying.
    ASUS P5VD1-X
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 3.00GHz
    Maxtor 160GB
    Corsair 1.5GB PC3200 RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256mb
    Phillips DVD RW
    Magna 500W PSU
    XION II Steel Black Gaming Case

The disadvantage of this process is that AES-128 bit encryption method used by FileVault, slows the system because it has to encrypt and decrypt files and data every time you read or write something in the operating system. But I think that your internal drive is dead, you change the disc (which you can partition as you please), you turn your external drive, you boot from the DVD (C key), you request a restore from a backup on your TM new disc and it is as if nothing had happened.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Want to access your backup from another Mac TM: you plug your external drive on the Mac in question, you go into the TM icon in the dock (must!) So you can choose "Browse Other Time Machine disks ... " then you come back in TM ... Finally, for the unsaved discs you see in TM, this is the "reflection" of your office, if you go inside, you'll see that restoration is not active, they are not saved. I have indeed found that a TimeMachine partition was mounted on the desktop and we had access to files legibly partition dedicated to TimeMachine.

It should not happen to you, but if for some reason there is no way to leave the hard drive from another computer and share access to copy Time Machine, try these two simple tricks to find out for sure :
    • Try to directly access the disk from the Finder. Access to the computer remotely and mounts all volumes of the same with the administrator password. Once this is done, then try to detect the volume from Time Machine.
    • If you still can access the hard drive connected remotely, try this one last tip. Previously this could not be done and there was a command line f orzaba a Time Machine to detect networked volumes. From the terminal try to run this command line :
      defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1