Thread: Install Ubuntu on Windows Server 2008

Install Ubuntu on Windows Server 2008

Hello,
    I am trying to install Ubuntu on my PC at work, which has Windows Server 2008 as operating system. I log in on my general session to work, but I also know the password of the administrator. I want to install Ubuntu 4.10 server version in 64 bits. I already downloaded the iso several times corresponding record a cd, but when I run the pc with the cd in:
    - It is detected and remains completely blocks the first "page"
    - It is absolutely not detected.
    What could be the problem? is a matter of user permissions / administration? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Install Ubuntu on Windows Server 2008

Is that the system is running in Live CD or not? Have you defragmented before? Will you loose everything or do dual boot? And if so, have you prepared your score? It amazes to me that you say "Install Ubuntu on Windows Server" since they are two operating systems. Are you trying to install ubuntu in a Virtual machine.

Yes partitions are ready, I have three so far: one for windows7, one for windows server 2008 and third for ubuntu. I really do not understand why the installation does not work with the cd player since the cd rom works very well. I tested by putting the iso on a USB key and reboot the pc the above, but it gives nothing either. Any more information regarding this is appreciated. Thank you.

I understand, you want to install ubuntu via wubi, and what you describe is the LiveCD autorun. If that's it, do not trust the autorun, it must "go" to launch the cd wubi, but it's not a great idea. Boot Ubuntu in live mode, and just runs the main task, I advise you obviously manual partitioning (that is offered during the install) and make 3 partitions for ubuntu: One for the system "/", swap one for personal data "/ home".

I want to make two things:
    - First install ubuntu 64 bit 10.4 natively on a partition on my hard
    - And secondly I would also like to install Ubuntu on my Laptop. I'm on my windows server session (because in fact I use ubuntu as a native program for my job, which only runs on Linux, while the rest I'm on windows - so have ubuntu on windows mobile is as practical as good even when I need to check.
    Any help on this please.

smithshn Guest

First check that system is running in Live CD or not. So, install Ubuntu on Windows Server due to its dual OS. You can also use the iso image to save the disk.