Thread: Changing Home/User Folder under Mac

Changing Home/User Folder under Mac

Hello,
    After partitioning my drive, I would like to change or rename or move my user folder on the system. Also, at the same time I would wish to take the backup of the home / user folder. How can I do this? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Changing Home/User Folder under Mac

if your user folder already exists it must use the terminal

here is the procedure
    - Su-ed to root
    - Gnutar cf usr.tar Users /
    - Users.tar mv / Volumes / TargetDisk /
    (AC can be made via the finder also be careful there is a file in your root folder use it for this that we simply can not do this)
    - Cd / Volumes / TargetDisk /
    - Gnutar xf users.tar
    - Rename the original folder to Users Users-old
    (Idem via the finder)
    - Cd /
    - Ln-s / Volumes / TargetDisk / Users Users

Part gnutar is optional but useful to make a backup and rapid move. by the cons must dev tool for gnutar

Switching to root, i.e with super user mode you must activate before NetInfo manager. gnutar cf Users.tar / Users: file compression. Compress the folder / Users archive Users.tar DS

cd / Volumes / TargetDisk / ChangeDirectory as its translation suggests Change Directory ds Terminal, here you go ds directory / Volumes / TargetDisk /

users.tar mv / Volumes / TargetDisk / test users.tar ds file folder / Volumes / TargetDisk

gnutar xf Users.tar Untar Users.tar
    cd /: returns to the default directory

You can can also do it from the NetInfo, you open it, you identify yourself (padlock in the bottom left) navigates you up User-> tone in the bottom of the window you have any information about your use (login name, etc. ...), you have one called home and which must have default value / Users / you the tone you modified and put the path of your partition / Volumes / testdisk / you save you back to the Finder and you copy the contents of your Home folder on your score and you're good (if you can not because it says you have no right to use the method mtra) In fact you do not modify the NetInfo therefore, you're just copying files from one point to another. I guess I am correct here.

This method is faster and clean through NetInfo Manager. It is just the stress of having to login as root to destroy the original user folder useless. I propose to establish the association of anti-terminal. Long live GUI app doing the job humanely. What's great is actually a group of User and its working papers. So it is the single volume backup daily.

I thought no-one has netinfo so I was free of the developments if they
    1 - ln-s will move the directories (and not just all the directory / user or /
    user ) while leaving a kind of aliases of the same name as the directory moves therefore more flexible than BCP Info Net
    2 - when you look at your user folder from the terminal and nothing much has
    changed! as if you put aliases!
    3 - I never logged in as root.

NetInfo Manager appears more straightforward but does not preserve the system. Use Terminal when creating symbolic links (kind of Alias pointers) maintains the structure and the use made apps. In short: If I choose the method that Terminal will remain there in the User directory in the script because it does not seem to me may have been deleted content?