Thread: how to create an external Blu Ray drive?

how to create an external Blu Ray drive?

I have installed a Mac OS X on my toshiba laptop and i want to ask you guys about the Blu Ray drive on this of my laptop. But i think rather i use a cheap Blu-ray rewriter, would it be recognized as a Blu-Ray device by mac operating system if i use an external CD/DVD drive?

Re: how to create an external Blu Ray drive?

I think it is possible to do what you have said here but i guess you would be needing one native SATA connector and i suggest you to use the firewire external connector which is not for only using it through an USB. But make sure that this solution is effective on your mac laptop otherwise it might happen that your money wasted in buying this connector.

Using native SATA connector is a good idea but i think you need to use some third party burning software which can recognize an external drive which you have connected. I suggest you to use Roxio Toast which is goos software to make or use blu ray discs. Its features are as follows.
    1. Extract clips from any DVD-Video and convert to the format of your choice
    2. Save web video to enjoy on TV and on-the-go
    3. Archive AVCHD camera footage to disc with one step
    4. Build your MP3 library with automatic capture and tagging of Internet audio
    5. Convert audiobook CDs for playback on your iPod
    6. Transfer video from your Mac to your TiVo DVR to enjoy on your TV
    7. Enjoy over 20 new stunning DVD and Blu-ray Disc menu styles
    8. Sync up folders bi-directionally - between multiple computers, folders or external drives

Another idea which you may use on your mac laptop is a dual boot. Actually mac os x does not allow you to use blue ray disc to play as it does not have any software which can do so. I think if you have installed any version of the windows operating system then it would become easier to play Blu ray disc on it by using the Power DVD or some other software.

Thought it was impossible to watch Blu-ray movies on your Mac? Well, think again. Fastmac now offers you up a brand new external SuperDrive that not only allows you to burn conventional CDs and DVDs, but also gives you the ability to watch commercial Blu-ray movies right from your Mac. There you would be able to findout an external drive for your mac laptop. Just visit to the fastmac.com/blurayext.

The Mercury Pro Blu-ray External Drive features four interfaces to connect to a Mac or PC—USB 2.0, FireWire 800 and FireWire 400, and External Serial ATA (eSATA). The drive can burn up to 50GB of data on a single dual-layer BD-R disc.The $400 package includes the drive, connection cables and two 25GB BD-R discs. OWC also offers a $480 package that adds includes the full retail version of Roxio Toast 10 Titanium, a CD and DVD burning application for Mac OS X.

I have heard a rumors that the Panasonic who makes a DVD drives for an Apple's macbook going to make an ultra thin BD drive. This DVD drive would able to fir into laptops. I guess apple would be doing to something so that they can put these dvd drive in macbooks as well.
    I think you have to wait for some time as it is for sure that there would be ultra thin BD drives available for the mac as well as all the laptops.