Thread: W7 Media Center freezes when watching DVD

W7 Media Center freezes when watching DVD

Please tell me why Windows 7 Media Center freezes when watching DVD. This is really weird can you tell me how to get rid of this problem. I have been using the windows 7 on my dell inspiron desktop i am facing this problem from last few days. This was not the case before. It started happening after i installed the latest updates on my system. Anyone ever faced similar problems.

Re: W7 Media Center freezes when watching DVD

As far as i know this is a bug which is found in the Windows 7 Media center. It happens while subtitles are on for DVD's saved to a HDD. If you really want to stop this happening you need to turn off the subtitles for the current DVD. I think that microsoft will soon fix this bug and this bug will be solved by microsoft and you will get it solved in the form of an update. Let's hope microsoft solves this bug as soon as possible.

This may be because your DVD may have been damaged or with scratchesand hence your media center freezes.

So the best possible solution to this problem is to try another player for the same like the Windows Media Player or the Real Player.

If this does not solve your problem then simply copy the file on to your systems hard drive and then directly play it in the windows Media player. It might play without freezing.

I already tested this on my system running with windows 7. So far i have not received any sort of error with windows media center So it appears as your video card driver is not up to date. So try to Update the the BIOS, Chipset and Graphics card driver as soon as possible it would be better if you install the drivers from the manufacturer website.

I too am finding that if I turn on subtitles (foreign language films) then randomly and repeatedly. It seems strange that microsoft is not providing a fix for this. I am using Media Center as a home media solution. If I do not turn on subtitles then the DVDs play through without issue. So for the time being it would be better if you try to give me a solution rather than installing updates on my system. Please help me to get this problem solved.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Dr. V Guest

For the time being i would suggest you to follow the steps which are mentioned below

Remove all the third party player or codec installed (if any) try removing it for the time being.

Go to start menu and simply type "APPWIZ.CPL" and search box then press enter key.
    Select the additional third party player/ and simply click uninstall.

Have you checked the DVD which you are using since if the DVD is damaged it may still cause these type of error. Hence i would suggest you to check whether your DVD works with another system or not . If it fails to works with another system it means that the DVD is damaged and your system is not an issue.