Thread: BSOD, random lockups

BSOD, random lockups

I am facing a weird problem with my desktop computer which is working on Windows 7. Recently I have installed Mass effect 2 on the computer and after installing the game, the system is crashing frequently when the game is started. I cant figure out what exactly is causing the problem. The graphic card which I am using is Nvidia 8800GT 512mb. So if anybody knows how to solve BSOD, random lockups in Windows 7 then please share some information.

Re: BSOD, random lockups

By looking at the problem, it looks like the operating system on the computer is not working properly. The proper working of the operating system, depends on lot of files which are associated to it. If any of the file which is associated to the operating system is corrupt or missing then the operating system will not work properly. Hence I would suggest that you repair the operating system on the computer and see if it helps.

Have you scanned the system with any antivirus? The symptom which you have mentioned indicate that the system is infected with some kind of virus. Virus's have a tendency to get linked with the files of the application which are used frequently or with the system files. If such a situation occurs then the system crashes frequently. hence scan the system with an updated antivirus and check for all the files which are infected. Repair the files which are infected and see if the performance of the system improves or not.

Does the computer fulfill all the system requirements of the game? Every application which is installed on the computer has some minimum system requirements which are to be fulfilled by the computer to run the application successfully. If the minimum system requirements are not fulfilled by the computer, then the application will not work and may lead to the system crash. Therefore I would suggest that you check the system requirements of the game first before running the game and see if the computer is fulfilling all the requirements. If the system requirements are not met, then avoid running the game as it would lead to permanent damage of internal components of the computer.

Check the installation of the game on the computer. There are lot of files associated to the game. All these files are required to work properly for the game to work properly. If any of the file which is associated to the game is missing or corrupt then the game will not work properly. Uninstall the game and remove all the files/keys associated to it. Once all the files/keys are removed, reinstall the game and see if the game works properly or not.

Open the computer and remove the remove the RAM chips of the system. If the RAM of the system is not accessible then the system lockups or gives random BSOD. Therefore remove the RAM and clean the connecting terminals of the RAM . After cleaning the connecting terminals of the RAM, replace them back in their respective slots and see if the same problem continues. If there are multiple RAM chips then try booting the system using single RAM chip at a time. If for a particular RAM chip if the system does not boot then discard the RAM chip as it may be faulty.

I tried repairing the Windows installation on the system but it did not help. The repair procedure stops in between and the system restarts. Also the system meets all the minimum requirements for the game and hence it should be not the problem. I have asked the dealer to get the replacement RAM for the computer. Will let you know the results after changing the RAM.