Thread: Destroy partition table using linux live CD

Destroy partition table using linux live CD

Hello,
    Recently my laptop started to crash (suddenly, I did nothing special ..). The hard drive was NTFS (XP) , does not want to boot xp (it eventually plant after a while), however the data are still readable with linux livecd such as knoppix. But under linux, I can not destroy the partition table to create another (ext3 this time it) fdisk unresponsive. Is there a command that destroys the partition table?

Re: Destroy partition table using linux live CD

Hello,
    Based on problems that you exhibit, I would say that a low-level formatting (formatting manufacturer) is required. You can tell us a bit more as fdisk does not respond?
    Here is the command which does the job
    Code:
    fdisk-l / dev / hda
    You can also use the command "badblocks" allows you to find bad sectors of a disk . The council, made a test in reading and writing, not reading only because at prior from what I understand is that your writing will crash.

Hello,
    I would like to add some more information on this, look also at the level of your memory, what version of knoppix do you use??? Perhaps you did not have enough memory and then it crashes, I have always had a good machine but it has only 32MB RAM and 96MB is normally with sufficient (at the same time, it did had no GUI). The problem is that knoppix did successfully manage its swap partition ntfs until a specific version.

Hello,
    You can check the man entries
    This is what I get
    "Use the read-write non-destructive. By default, only read-only test is performed non-destructive. This option can be combined with the-w option, as they are mutually exclusive"

So I guess it does not destroy data. For the cons w option:
    "-W Use write-mode testing. With this option, badblocks will look for bad blocks by writing some patterns (0xaa, 0x55, 0xff, 0x00) on every block device, and rereading it to verify its contents. This option can be combined with the-n option, as they are mutually exclusive."

Hello,
    Linux, it'll be tough knowing that the current partition is a ntfs for fdisk, I'll try these options, but when I put anything, it put "ioctrl () to .... read "(well, I do not remember exactly) after nothing. The machine was not frozen as on other tty I got to use other commands. It is a Compaq of 1GB & 128mb of ram so I think it does not come from the ram. Can a do a low level format on linux, possible?