Thread: ipconfig or ipconfig/all (flashing)not working in Windows Vista Ultimate

ipconfig or ipconfig/all (flashing)not working in Windows Vista Ultimate

I have recently installed Windows Vista Ultimate after removing Windows XP operating system. Its just been a couple of days that I have done the complete configuration. Now, I wanted to check out the details of the ipaddress of my system. But, it seems that ipconfig or ipconfig/all (flashing)not working in Windows Vista Ultimate. This is because when I type any of the above mentioned commands in RUN, the windows simply opens for less than a second and goes away. I am able to open it when I go to RUN and then, start with CMD. Why is this happening. Kindly provide some help as soon as possible.

Dr. V Guest

Re: ipconfig or ipconfig/all (flashing)not working in Windows Vista Ultimate

Hello there, you have mentioned that ipconfig or ipconfig/all (flashing)not working in Windows Vista Ultimate, when you are trying it with the help of RUN. But, if you are having no issues with the help of CMD, then what is there to worry. I do not know about Windows Vista, but in Windows XP, you have to run these commands from CMD only.

Hey, I am quite sure that there are no issues with ipconfig or ipconfig/all (flashing)not working in Windows Vista Ultimate. This is a genuine problem being faced. I am using the Windows Vista operating system too and have tried as you have done with the help of the RUN command. The CMD is only used for such purposes. The same with Windows 7. I wish you all the best....

If you are feeling that the issue of ipconfig or ipconfig/all (flashing)not working in Windows Vista Ultimate is being caused due to some installation problems, then it is suggested that you must format the system and install the Windows Vista operating system again. I am suggesting you this because there must have been some problem while the installation of the operating system.

There is no need to reinstall the Windows Vista operating system because ipconfig or ipconfig/all (flashing)not working in Windows Vista Ultimate is not a problem. You are trying to do what is not possible in this operating system. This means that you are trying to perform a function that is not possible with the system itself. Use the CMD prompt for such purposes.

Typing dos commands, or executing files with parameters, in RUN works, but they have never displayed the behavior of leaving the cmd form open. They always immediately close, for me anyways.

When I had WinXp Media Center, which inherits Xp Professional, I had the command.exe prompt. It seems limited to cmd, but perhaps that behavior existed.

In any case, the method should be to just use run to open cmd and then type the commands and read the displays.

Perhaps you should write batch files.

EXAMPLE: for XP (may work for vista)

create a new text file

write
    "
    @echo off
    c:
    cd \windows\system32
    ipconfig
    pause
    "
    Save file as textfile.bat

double click the file,

it should display a command prompt, execute the ipconfig command, than wait for user to press any key to end.
    Last edited by brcaswell; 04-05-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Hello brcaswell, thanks for the information provided. I was not aware about the same. Well, I will try it out and let you know if it works out or not. I think that the people who are looking forward to get rid of the situation in ipconfig or ipconfig/all (flashing)not working in Windows Vista Ultimate must try using the same.

Hey everyone,
    I have tried out the trick provided by brcaswell in my system with Windows Vista and I can assure you all that it works fine as mentioned by him. Well, anyone interested can try using it. Anyone facing any issues while trying to work with it can reply with their problems.

sorry for bumping an older thread, but I decided to offer some more clarity to this 'issue' by properly including resource links to additional information.

For starters, it was incorrect and misleading of me to say you can run dos commands through the run command dialog. It does not recognize or execute dos commands itself. When you type 'ipconfig' in the run command prompt, what you're actually doing is opening/executing ipconfig.exe that is located in the c:\windows\system32 folder. The same could be said for when you type it as a command in DOS.

The following link explains the run command, and notes some common methods, settings, and configuration steps.

The run command,

here is a notable section from that link/site, in regards to Kaylynn's post.

Accessing the Command Shell from Run
    The command interpreter can be invoked to carry out a command from the Run line by entering
    cmd /c some_command
    With the switch "/c", some_command will be carried out and the command shell will then close. If you want the command shell to remain open, use the switch "/k". Enter
    cmd /k some_command
    Sure enough, typing cmd /k ipconfig, or "cmd.exe /k ipconfig.exe", is telling the command shell to remain open after running the "command" parameter. In this case, the command parameter is simply "ipconfig", or "ipconfig.exe".

As a test, use start run to open cmd.exe with the switch /c, by typing "cmd /c", or "cmd.exe /c". A command window should open and close immediately.

ipconfig.exe can be executed with parameters. ex: /all /release /renew

these parameters can be used in the run dialog as well.

so a full RUN command line that executes/opens a system file using parameters would look like: cmd /k ipconfig /all

Note: If the executible does not exist in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 (and you haven't changed your RUN settings, by altering keys and values in your registry) than you'll have to supply the full path the executible.

"c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /k c:\windows\system32\ipconfig.exe /all" would the full path, and equivalent to "cmd /k ipconfig /all".
    Last edited by Saket; 26-05-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: External link not allowed

I am late to this game, but would like to thank brcaswell for the batch file info. I have Vista Ultimate on my workhorse laptop and wondered why i was never able to use the ipconfig /all command in the prompt. I had never had this problem with any other system I had tried it on. So thanks so much!! works great.