Thread: Kickstart installation on Ubuntu 9.10

Kickstart installation on Ubuntu 9.10

I am running Ubuntu 9.10 on my computer. I would to like to know what are steps involved in Kickstart installation. I have the kickstart file with me and I tried to use system-config-kickstart package to create it but the installer ignores my kickstart file. So is there a person who is kind enough to help me to write the boot commands or something similar?

Re: Kickstart installation on Ubuntu 9.10

But why do you want to install kickstart? The kickstart installation method is only used when you have problems regarding operating system installation and/or configuration. This method automatically installs and/or configures the operating system. If you don't have such kind of problems then don't attempt to do the same, it is not mandatory.

I have read the help file of kickstart installation and it states that, once you have saved the file you have to create a boot disk with the help of boot.img if you are installing from CD, or use bootnet.img if the installation is done from network drive. Then you copy the kickstart file (ks.cfg) on the disk and boot from the disk. Type "linux ks=floppy" to start the kickstart installation.

Kickstart is basically used to automate the Red Hat Linux installation process. To begin kickstart installation, you must boot the system using a Red Hat Linux boot disk, Red Hat Linux boot CD, or the Red Hat Linux CD-ROM #1 and enter a special boot command at the boot prompt.

Boot the system with the disk in the drive, and enter the following command at the boot: prompt:

Boot Disk
    Code:
    linux ks=floppy
    CD-ROM #1 and Diskette
    Code:
    linux ks=hd:fd0:/ks.cfg
    Boot CD-ROM
    Code:
    linux ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg