Thread: Cannot change my password.

Cannot change my password.

Hi guys,

I am new to this Ubuntu operating system. Currently I am using Karmic Koala. I need to change my password and for that I have used

system->Administration->users and groups for changing my password

I have entered my new password and the clicked on the “Change Password”. It is displaying the message that the password is changed.

But when tried to login I was forced to enter the old password the system is not accepting the new password.

Can any one help me for changing the password?
    http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1135890.htm

Re: Cannot change my password.

Well you can change the password of the system going through System -> Preferences -> About Me.
    You can also use

System -> Administration -> Users and Groups but this is use for the system administrator for managing the systems user accounts

I know that it is a bit confusing for the new people like you. One more thing the Users and groups are logical place for changing your own password.

I am also a complete new use to Ubuntu and use this X- Window system. I am not having the deep knowledge of system. I have tried to use the solution which are mentioned in the above replies but I was unable to change the password of the system. One more when I tried to use the "About Me" panel for changing my current password it hanged and then I have to close the window for bring the system back to normal.

Any idea why I cannot change my password

These are the simple step for changing the password or if you have forgot the password of your system.
    Step 1 : Boot the live CD or live USB

Step 2: Mount ( make available, basically) your drive by going to places and selecting it
    When you mount the drive, Ubuntu will automatically open it with the file manager. Go ahead and close this auto opened windows.

Step3: Press Alt-F2 to get a Run Application dialogue up.
    Then type “gksudo nautilus” to launch the file manager with system wide privileges.
    Within the drive you just mounted, you can double-check that it’s the right drive by clicking on “home” and then your username.

Step4: Once you have verified it is the right drive, go up to directory level to the top-level directory of the mounted drive
    Then go into the “etc” directory.

Step5: Scroll down paste the directories until you get to the shadow text file.

Step6: Edit the original “shadow” file with a text editor.

Step7: Find the hash for a blank password online at the Ubuntu Forums.

Step8: Copy the hash of the blank password over the hash of the password in the shadow file (The password you have forgotten and need to reset)

Step9: Save the file, exit out of everything and reboot your computer without the live CD or USB.

Step 10: Once you are booted back in to your installation, go to System>Preference>About Me and reset you password.
    For the “Current password” you do not have to type any thing, as your current password is blank so just click “Authenticate” and put in your new password.

Do not forget this time.

Thank you for your reply
    The steps and the procedure you have mentioned is a bit long and complicated and one more thing it require the live CD or USB, which I do not have.
    But I want to say one thing I have bought the CD from my friend and followed the procedure you have mention and surprisingly it works.
    http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1135890.htm