Thread: 9.10 blank screen on restart

9.10 blank screen on restart

I am having Dell Optiplex 260, and I have installed Ubuntu 9.10. Operating system on it and it is working fine. After the first reboot, I just have a blank screen when I tried to start it. Frustrating with that I have changed my operating system to 9.40 and it worked fine.

After couple of months, I faced the hard drive problem so, I have to install the operating system again. One of my friend suggested me that Xubuntu is lighter operating system compared to others and can work better on the older computers. Then I have installed Xubuntu 9.10 but faced the same issue.

After the installation, desktop comes fine but after some time it shuts off, and if I restart the only thing I get is the blank screen.

Any idea about this issue of 9.10 blank screen on restart?

Re: 9.10 blank screen on restart

I have the same opinion. Ubuntu 9.10 is way to buggy, glitch, and acts weird most of the time. It has never worked well for me on my Dell Studio 1555. You have done the reinstallation only two times but I have done the same more than four times. I always faced the messages displaying there was a 'severe kernel problem' which is making no sense to me because I have installed everything right. Finally, I can just say one thing that keep trying for different Ubuntu version see, which one is working good.

I was also facing the similar problem I got through it by doing the following steps they worked for me. Hope it will also work for you:

• Try to edit GRUB. For that open the terminal and then edit the file located at this place
      “/etc/default/grub”
    • I have used nano by typing
      sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    • Alter the line
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
      to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash"
    • After that save your changes using Ctrl-X, Now run:

sudo update-grub
    • and then restart.

Sorry,

I am not able to get it what you have suggested me the only thing I am getting is the black screen in the recovery mode.

The only thing I have discovered that if I press escape, it is booting normally and working fine. If I restart the machine and do not press the escape, I faced the same result of black screen.

Well for your problem I can suggest only one thing that I am using for the booting purpose. I am using the boot disk while launching the system and when it displays the menu I use the option of “Boot from first hard disk”
    I do not know what is the reason for this kind of weird behavior may be some driver is mission or may be some driver is not loading correctly at the time of restart

Well this method is working fine for me and will work for you.

Thanks for the reply the escape method is working fine which I was using and the new method of using the boot disk is working good. Now I am able to launch the system smoothly

Now a new kind of problem has started. I am facing trouble with the sharing of the files, on mounting a new hard drive on it. I think I have to switch to the previous version of operating system. Because facing the problems like these and searching for the solution is frustrating for me. However, thanks for your valuable time.