Thread: How to Back Up and Restore Virtual Machines?

How to Back Up and Restore Virtual Machines?

Hello friends,
    Many times the scenarios come when I have to restore the Virtual Machines. But before restoring it, we should backup an existing data from it. I am not having any knowledge about the backing up or the restoring. So I thought to ask you guys to help me in this issue. Please explain me how to Back Up and Restore Virtual Machines.?? Hope that someone would understand my issue and help me soon.!!

Re: How to Back Up and Restore Virtual Machines?

Hyper-V uses one of Two Mechanisms to back up VM EACH. The default backup IS Mechanism Called the "Saved State" method, WHERE IS the VM could Into a saved state "during the processing of the event PrepareForSnapshot, are snapshots of the appropriate" Taken volumes, and the VM IS Returned to the previous state "during the processing PostSnapshot of the event.

The other is backup Mechanism measures Called the Child VM snapshot method, uses VSS Which child inside the VM to Participate in the backup. For the Child VM Snapshot Method to Be Supported, all of the conditions following must be is :
    • Backup (volume snapshot) Integration Service is installed and running in the child VM. The service name is Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor.
    • The Child Must Be VM running in the state.
    • The Snapshot File Location for the VM IS SET to Be the Same volume in the host operating system as the VHD files for the VM.
    • All volumes in the child VM are basic disks and dynamic disks There Are No.
    • All disks in the child VM must use a file system supports snapshots That (for example, NTFS).
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core @ ~2.2 GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 200 GB
    Video Card: RADEON X300/X550 Series

The following steps might be useful for backing up virtual machines :
    • For Each VM in the writer metadata, if the "Saved State" Method Used IS, IS the VM could Into a saved state. For VMs using the "Child VM snapshot" method, the Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service Requestor in the child VM Processes in the backup. VSS All events in the child "during the VM Host Operating Occur processing system of the PrepareForSnapshot event.
    • After all VMs Have Been Either put in the saved state or snapshot HAD Taken, the Hyper-V VSS writer returns from the PrepareForSnapshot event. No processing Is Done By The Hyper-V VSS Writer "during the Freeze and Thaw events.
    • When the Hyper-V VSS writer Processes PostSnapshot the event, backed up VMs That Were using the "State" Saved "method and put Into Were state has saved by the Hyper-V VSS writer are Returned to the state They Were in before the backup started" . For the VMs backed up That Were using the "Child VM snapshot" method, the host of the VHD Image files Taken That Had the snapshots are rolled back to the Snapshot Taken "during the processing of the event PrepareForSnapshot. This Is Done processing Independently of the VSS writers in the child so the VMs Must Be Taken snapshots self-Recoverable.
    "All gave some, some gave all."

The following steps describes how to restore VMs. :
    1. "During the processing of the PreRestore event, the Hyper-V VSS Writer" turns off "any VMs and deletes are about to Be That restored.
    2. After all the VSS writers Have Processed PreRestore event, the files are restored.
    3. "During the processing of the PostRestore event, the Hyper-V VSS writer calls the IVssComponent: GetFileRestoreStatus method. If the return Is Not VSS_RS_ALL either 'the Hyper-V VSS writer calls the SetWriterFailure method and returns FALSE from the OnPostRestore method.
    4. For Each VM That Was restored, the Hyper-V VSS writer registers the VM with the Hyper-V management service. If the IS restored VM to a nondefault location, a symbolic link is created in the default location linking to That lease.
    5. For Each VHD That Was restored, the location is Compared with the one specified For That VM. If the location is different either 'the configuration is Updated With The Proper rental.
    6. The network configuration is Updated. If the virtual switches That Was the VM connected to When It Was Still backed up exit, new ports are created and connected to the VMs.
    Whats my name again? I spend so much time looking at code i fogot my own name ahhh!

In processing a backup, and writers requester Coordinate Reasons to be a stable system image from Which to back up data (the Windows clipboard shadow volume) to group files together on the Basis of Their Use, and to store information on the saved data. This Must Be all done while only minimal interruption to Creating the writer's normal work flow. A requester queries for writers Their metadata, Processes this data, the writers Reported Prior To The Beginning of the shadow and copy of the backup operations, and Then the writers notified again after the shadow copy and backup operations end.
    Desktop * Athlon X2 4200 | 2048M RAM | 160G HD | 7600GT
    MacMini * G4 1.33GHz | 512M RAM | 40G HD | Radeon 9200
    Laptop * Sempron 2800 | 512M RAM | 60G HD
    PDA * Dell Axim x51 | 128M Internal | 256M SD Card