Thread: audible.com .aa sound format on linux

audible.com .aa sound format on linux

The Audible.com uses a "secret" audio code suggested as ".aa". I have discussed with them to go Linux friendly but nothing happened. Does someone is aware about the "fix" for the .aa sound system? I am having an old 98 running just for the Audible stories and need to shut off entire windows and microsux units completely. I am using Debian "Sarge" and SuSE 9.3 on another.

This is very silly query upon this but one thing I have in my mind and can be much helpful for you , why you are not going for the help to work under Wine.You have another option with same and can be used to converters the files into different frmat and converters are also available for this task . I have had some luck ripping them to mp3 after burning a cd. haven't used to do lately since I started playing them on my ipod.
    Last edited by Devasis; 13-04-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Conversion of Audible .aa Files to .mp3 Quickly

I am going to provide some detailed about how to tackle with .aa files. The method, which will tell you to convert your Audible audio book downloads to DRM-free mp3s in few minutes, with a very small amount of manual performance.

You have to require these things :

• Windows (Because, it requires only run in Windows)
    • Nero for Windows .
    • UltraISO for Windows .
    • Ruby for Windows .
    • Lame for Windows.
    • An Audible.com account

On Audible.com, search the book that you need to download. Be sure that it is being download with the help of Audible Download Manager and results in you getting .aa files for the book. Get something easy way (not an iPod) and choose ‘Format 4′ for the desired type.

Once you have downloaded your .aa file then open up the Nero. Now create a new compilation,choose ‘CD’ as the type, and scroll down to ‘Audiobook CD’. You need to drag your .aa format file into the Nero and choose ‘Image Recorder’ from the list of recorders. Then after click to Burn it.

Convert to .aa sound format into MP3

Now, a directory is placed somewhere which have files that look like Image.nrg, Image02.nrg, Image03.nrg, etc.

You have to also download this ruby script attached in the attachment section, Just execute the script using the prompt method. The script attached basically for extracting UltraISO to extract .wav files from the .nrg files, then uses lame to convert the .wav files to .mp3 files. If you installed UltraISO or Lame to separate directories, Now just assume that the file are saved into the following location “c:\nrg2mp3.rb”.

Now, open up a command prompt and Type:

ruby c:\nrg2mp3.rb "c:\mybook"

Be sure that you use the quotes if you have spaces in your directory name.Now,you have to wait for sometime the script will convert entire nrg files to mp3 files. It will perform the deletion of entire .nrg files when the procedure would be completed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Calvin K; 13-04-2010 at 12:42 AM.