Thread: Using Windows 7 Resource Monitor

Using Windows 7 Resource Monitor

Hi, basically i am a Mac OS X user, but recently bought a laptop with Windows 7 operating system. As i am not familiar with Window 7 or any of the Windows operating system, i need some help from you regarding the Windows 7 Resource Monitor. I found it suddenly while browsing the system and found it some thing interesting. Could you guys please make me what is it actually and how can i use it ?

Help appreciated !!!

Re: Using Windows 7 Resource Monitor

Resource Monitor is a tool that you can use to monitor the usage of CPU, hard disk, network, and memory in real time. In fact the Windows Resource Monitor 7 reminds us in part to processes explorer a small program that is part of the suite of utilities that Microsoft acquired Sysinternal some time ago and it now appears that begins to integrate the new versions Windows that is pitching.

Open Resource Monitor by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Resource Monitor, and then, in the list of results, click Resource Monitor. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.*

You cam also start it by typing "resmon" in the search box.

The first thing you see in the Resource Monitor is the general information tab contains a summary of the currently running processes and the use being made of the CPU. We may also see use being made of a hard drive, the processes that are performing network tasks and processes loaded into memory. This section is apparently quite similar to the Resource Monitor that it came with Windows Vista.

The first tab that CPU TAb can analyze and stop processes and services currently running. In addition we see that processes are guilty of consuming more CPU, which is one of the possible causes that explain excessive slowness of our machine.

You can directly access the CPU tab, using the command:
    % Windir% \ system32 \ resmon-res

One of the most immediate utility of this tab is to determine which applications are not responding. In the CPU tab, if we click the right mouse button on any of the programs and select the item pending analysis chain, we will see if the process is running normally, in which case we will get a message like the following or well if pending or not responding for some reason.

After CPU Tab , there is the Memory tab where you can visualize the processes that are currently loaded into system RAM and the use made of it, at the foot of the same figure we can see a small broken down both the volume of memory in use and the we have yet.

From here you could determine if there is a process that is consuming excessive memory. This small graph also detail the memory in use by the system, reserved, and as amended, which is one that contains data and code cache is actively used, light blue, we have the memory that is free.

The Disk tab shows which processes are currently doing operations read / write to your hard drive, we can see a summary of the storage units we have installed on your computer. With this tab, you can see a lot of variables, including the disk response time for each process, we can also see the total bytes / sec read and written for one application among many other things. This will help us determine which program is more "caught" our hard drive

Dr. V Guest

The tab that most caught my attention is the Network tab, since it appears to us very detailed information of all processes that are making network operations and even shows the ports that are open and the ip to which they are connected, being in this sense quite similar to the netstat command that represented us in text mode the same information. Now its use is certainly easier. As you have guessed is quite useful to know if there are any suspicious process that is making outside connections, such as a Trojan.

In conclusion, with the new resource monitor Windows 7, we have at our disposal a set of essential tools to help identify performance issues and of course your machine to help solve them for ourselves. You can also filter processes want to analyze just ticking the box is just to the left of your name in this way the process will remain the first and the filter will be applied to all resource monitor tabs. So you know, if your PC starts to go slow or see Internet browsing is not going smoothly remember this article and resmon.