Thread: ERROR: Unable to determine the version of the kernel sources located in '/lib/

ERROR: Unable to determine the version of the kernel sources located in '/lib/

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get a 2.6.33 kernel up an running and running with some problems - it occurs that it can't find the proper version and/or sources - even though they are there.

Whole source code is available, I am running with a custom 2.6.31.5 kernel right now. I have tried NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.42-pkg2.run --kernel-name=2.6.33 -K -a --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-2.6.33.

Thanks

There are some of the components in 2.6.33 like linux/autoconf.h and linux/utsrelease.h played a most role causing this very error. They were moved to generated/autoconf.h and generated/utsrelease.h but I am not aware about that if it is associated to your issues.

I was having the same issues much before compiling some things so I symlinked those in linux/ and now everything is working well.

I got your issue and I think the suggestion that I will give you on this problem
    is close to your problem and I hope it would work for you because I am also suffering with the same problem. I got the solution for it is either the conftest.sh script or a test function in the nvidia-installer binary file which is not able to parse the version information in order to decide which makefile to use. assumed as a installer bug to me.

ERROR: Unable to determine the version of the kernel sources specifies in '/lib/modules/2.6.33/source'.

Please just be sure that you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are completely configured: As a example, on Red Hat Linux system, Make sure you have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM installed. If you are aware about the correct kernel source files are installed, you may locate the kernel source path whit the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.

Well ,I have a solution for you and may be much helpful for you. You have to issue some commands but before that just put your driver in "Maximum Performance" mode but (hopefully) will stop the blinking.

Then issue the following command with proper option and specifications :

Code:
    echo 'options nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222" ' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/otions.conf
    The code suggested above will create the file located /etc/modprobe.d/otions.conf with some bonded commands which triggers "Maximum Performance" mode.