Thread: Lock icon appears beside file names on windows 7

Lock icon appears beside file names on windows 7

I have bought a new computer system for which i am using an external hard drive of an Iomega. Actually i am not facing any problems while using this hard drive but i have a small doubt in my mind that why windows 7 is showing a lock beside the file icon of my Iomega hard drive. Is this any kind of feature on this operating system or what it is, I just do not get it. I had a talk with an Iomega support but they were helpless for this doubt. Can anybody help me to know about this?

Re: Lock icon appears beside file names on windows 7

I do not think that it would be the feature provided from the windows 7 operating system. I think if you have enable any bitlocker on your computer system then it might happen that your external drive would be showing the lock besides the folders. Or it might be showing because of some additional application. Does it shows you on your local drives as well or just with an Iomega hard drive?

Here i have given you some steps following which you can remove the lock icon besides the folders which is really annoying for many users.
    1. Right click on the files and select Share With.
    2. If you choose Nobody from this menu means that only the administrator can access those files.
    3. If you choose with Homegroup in either Read Only then i guess that lock has been removed now.
    4. Note that you would not be able to see any third party programs by doing this.

Dr. V Guest

I would like to tell you that the lock icon about which you are talking about would be showing because of the settings made for that particular folder. If there is a lock besides the folder then it means that the those folders are only accessible by an administrator, They can not be accessed by the normal users on that computer. You can make them accessible for all the users by right clicking on the folder and then select share with, Selecting the Nobody will show lock and Homegroup will remove the lock icon.

I would like to inform you that the windows 7 operating system which you are using on your computer comes with the feature called as a bitlocker which has been actually used for applying the restrictions on access of any folder according the user profiles made on that computer system. Bitlocker would be enabled on your account which is the reason behind showing such icons besides the folders.