Thread: Windows 7 reboots without warning

Windows 7 reboots without warning

I am facing a weird problem with the desktop computer which I am using. I have a Dell optiplex 780 with Windows 7 operating system installed on it. The problem is that the computer will reboot at random intervals. I cant figure out if the problem is due to hardware or software failure. So if any of you people knows why Windows 7 reboots without warning then please share some information. Any help is highly appreciated.

Re: Windows 7 reboots without warning

The problem which you are facing is due to the faulty power supply unit. The power supply unit of the computer is responsible for providing correct voltage levels to all the hardware peripherals which are connected to the computer. If the power supply unit is faulty then it will not be able to provide correct voltage levels to all the peripherals. If such a situation occurs then the computer will restart randomly due to fluctuation in input voltage. Get the power supply unit checked my some technician and if faulty get it replaced. After replacing the power supply unit, see if the problem continues.

It is possible that the operating system which is installed on the computer is not working properly. The operating system of the computer has lot of files which are associated to it. If any of the file which is associated to the operating system is corrupt or missing on the system then the operating system will not work properly. Insert the installation disk of the operating system in the drive and boot the system from the disk. Repair or install the fresh copy of the Windows on the computer. After reinstalling the operating system, you will not face the problem again.

The motherboard of the computer takes all the logical decisions which are required for controlling the functions which are performed by the computer. Hence if the motherboard is faulty then the computer will not work properly. Therefore I would suggest that you get the motherboard of the computer checked by some technician. If the motherboard is found out to be faulty then replace the motherboard and see if the problem continues or not.

All the programs which are to be executed on the computer, are first copied to the system RAM of the computer and then executed from there. If the system is not able to access the RAM or if the RAM gets depleted then the computer will restart. Open the computer and clean the connecting terminals of the RAM and then replace the RAM in their respective slots. If there are multiple RAM chips then try booting the system using single RAM chip at a time. If for any ram chip, the system does not boot then discard the RAM chip as it may be faulty.

It can be due to some virus which has infected the system. Virus's have the tendency to get linked with the files which are associated to the operating system. If such a situation occurs then the operating system will not work properly. Therefore scan the system with some antivirus and check for all the files which are infected. Repair or quarantine all the files which are infected. After repairing all the files which are infected, then check if the problem persists or not.