Thread: XP Mode and VMWare

XP Mode and VMWare

I have Windows 7 installed on my Dell laptop. There is a VMware image that is running Linux on it. The setup which I have configured is such that I can access it using Telnet from the Windows 7 machine. As I wanted to use a software which was not compatible with Windows 7, I installed XP mode of Windows 7 but I cannot connect to the VMware image from XP mode. I can ping the IP address of the VMware image from Windows 7 but cannot ping from the XP mode. Is there any incompatibility between XP Mode and VMWare. Any suggestions about the topic are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: XP Mode and VMWare

There must be some problem with the XP mode which is installed on the computer. To install the XP mode on the computer, installer files are to be downloaded from the internet. If while downloading the installer files, if there is any fluctuation in the internet connection then the file which is downloaded will be corrupt and hence the installed XP mode will not work properly. Uninstall the XP mode from the computer and remove all the keys/files associated to it from the computer. Once all the traces of the application are removed, download the installer file and install Virtual XP mode. See if it works properly.

Are there any security software's installed on the computer? Security softwares such as firewall have the basic tendency of blocking the unknown traffic generating or terminating on the computer. Due to this tendency sometimes the traffic desired by the user is also blocked which creates problems like the one which you are facing. Therefore you will have to enable "All the incoming echo packets" on the computer. After enabling all the incoming echo packets in the firewall, you will not face the same problem again.

Dr. V Guest

Whenever the user logs in the XP mode, the default networking mode selected by XP mode is Shared networking via NAT which sometimes create problem in effective 2-way communication of the client with other hosts. To do an effective communication with different hosts on the network, you will have to change the default networking mode from NAT to direct access to a host's network adapter. To change the networking mode, go to Windows VPC---XP mode---Settings----Select the host network adapter---release the DHCP address and renew it----Reboot the system. Now check if the problem is solved or not.

Login to the XP mode as the power user and then follow the steps below :-
    1. Open settings of XP virtual machine.
    2. Click on the Networking setting.
    3. Select the Adapter 1 and link it with physical network card.

To get into the Settings of Virtual machine, click on Start--> All Programs--> Windows Virtual PC-->Windows Virtual PC. or you can type "%USERPROFILE%/Virtual Machines" in the address bar in Windows explorer. Hope the post helps.