Thread: re-detect/mount usb hard drive

re-detect/mount usb hard drive

I just un-mounted my USB drive which was connected and mounted in fedora and formatted it. I need to reconnect it,however I need to connect as if I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Is there any method to get hal (or whatever) to re-detect the usb device and do it's thing?

I am aware about mounting device in particular location mount /dev/sdd1 <mount point> however I want the hal to do it so I can see where it's going to put it in the /media directory. I'm running Fedora 8 if it makes a difference.

Hey, All right you means you wanted to connect and also should to be detected when you keep it put from the system. I don;t think, it can be possible in case , we don;t believe that it can be possible.

You can do it another way and can be accomplished by the help of cache memory.

Re-detect/mount usb hard drive

I am going to present a method to detect the USB drive in case, If you have unplugged then after you don;t want to release the mount location.

The one which can be posted and Maybe gnome-device-manager can be beneficial may work for you. never used it but seems to me like I seen a screen shotof doing what you need.

I just got devadm" from package udev-118-1.fc8 that contains a command "trigger" The procedure was unable to simulate an unplug-plug operation but may be you need to try.

The package parted contains a software named /sbin/partprobe that do the trick After un-mounting your the USB disk, you can fire the command "/sbin/partprobe" without arguments, and entire disk devices are re-detected.

The PC and devices are being disconnected because some of the bad operation and management from yourself can increase the chances of the missing.

I always removed directly without using safe removal. The issue is for some reason safe removal always occurred "cannot remove the device at this time" even In case, if the drive was not being used which leaves me no option for me except to unplug the hardway. I am not aware that why it never stops the usb hdd from safe removal.

So if you find finally that this is the cause of the issue, what can I do to solve the issue and avoid reboot everytime I have to replug it?