Thread: Windows 7 “Backup and Restore” and alternative “Program Files (x86)” locations

Windows 7 “Backup and Restore” and alternative “Program Files (x86)” locations

I am trying to run the “Back up now” on the hard disk of my computer system which also contains the executable file. The documentation give the details related to the files which are stored in the backup. So I want to know how to do the backup so that backup include the executable files

Re: Windows 7 “Backup and Restore” and alternative “Program Files (x86)” locations

For your information you must know that following items are not comes in backup of window 7.
    1. Program files (Means the files that define themselves as component of a program in the registry while the program is installed).
    2. Files stored on hard disks that are formatted by means of the FAT file system are not also come in backup
    3. Records which are present in the Recycle Bin.
    4. Temporary files whose size is smaller than 1 GB.

Re: Windows 7 “Backup and Restore” and alternative “Program Files (x86)” locations

Normally windows inbox backup is planned for backing up only files and not the programs. Hence it is clear that you will not be able to up the programs or the applications of your computer system. You can do the application recovery using system image backup. This will help you for taking the backup of applications on your computer system.

If you problem is to repair a program or un-install the program then I will suggest you to go for the system restore. For restoring your computer system you can follow the steps given below.
    1. Go to Start >> Programs >> Accessories >> System tools
    2. Select system restore
    3. After that a system restore window will be displayed.
    4. You have just select the date for system restore
    5. Reboot your personal computer.

This will help you to get your system in the desired previous state.

Dr. V Guest

I will suggest you to use the "Create System image". You can also use the wbadmin -include option for including the volumes and script on your computer system. however the situation that you mentioned that dynamic link library are backed up and not executable files is not expected. I you can provide more information about the applications that you want to take backup I can help you in more better way.