Thread: Achieving lower boot times in Win 7

Achieving lower boot times in Win 7

I have upgraded my computer system with the boot drive: Seagate 7200.10 to a 4 disk RAID0 array to an 80gigabyte Intel SSD. But I am not getting the performance I want I am getting lower boot times in Win 7. Now window 7 is taking 25 seconds for getting to the desktop but it should be around 5 to 7 seconds according to the reports. I will give you the full details related to this topic

Currently my computer system is taking
    15 seconds for completing the POST process
    20 seconds for initializing the RAID setup (running the latest Intel drivers)
    5 seconds for verifying the DMI pool
    25 seconds for booting to Window 7 to desktop

That comes around 65 seconds and this is irritating because MacBook boots in less than half of this time.

Re: Achieving lower boot times in Win 7

According to me the total boot time depends on you, basically why are you booting or rebooting the computer system. In place of that you can use the Power plans for setting up the computer system to sleep mode that will allow the computer to Sleep, and computer will consume very little power and you will get the boot in less than 3 seconds.

Well this was a nice answer which can be used for fast booting time. Now I am using the sleep mode but my question is not for getting boot related queries. But I need to know why my computer system with a good configuration is not performing up to the bench marks which are set.

Basically fast startup of window 7 depends on the correct BIOS (Basic Input/Output System). I do not think that changing your SSD of your computer system will achieve the fast boot up time for you window 7 operating system if you compared the booting time to xp operating system. You can search the internet for fast booting time of window 7.

Microsoft operating system is very weird in restarting and shutting down, also the individual applications such as control panel, my computer, networking etc seems to lag a small piece when first opened and not in the cache. I really do not see much development in this area over Vista or earlier windows. I bought my windows 7 since it was new and wanted to check it out, at present I use the competitors computer and operating system and love it because of the response times and ease of use.